Keyless entry will not go into program mode.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyevery10

Reaction score
I have a 98 K1500. I cannot get it to go into Program Mode when trying to program a new key fob. I tried jumping the #4 and #8 on the OBD and nothing happens. I have tested all the fuses and they are fine. I have 2 fuses, not in the manual, bottom left by the parking brake. They look fine but it makes me think that this pickup has an aftermarket security system in it and that the programming may be a different procedure. I have disconnected the battery and left it for a reset, tested all fuses, tried the next gen method of holding the unlock button and cycling the key twice, and still no response from the door locks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Are you certain the truck came with the keyless option to begin with? RPO code AU0? If not, you won't get programming mode.

chevyevery10

Reaction score
I'm certain. It had a working transmitter when I bought it. Broke it awhile back and just getting around to replacing.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was the remote original or after market. What extra fuses, what do they go to, do you extra items not original?
Are you following the OE service manual procedure?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
" I'm certain " is not exactly the same as " was equipped with option" AU0 ". You received a remote with truck, are you sure it was the factory option and not an aftermarket or similar dealer installed, not necessarily the factory option.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valet switch and red light are indicative of an aftermarket security system. Squeez under the dash, head in the pedals, and see if you can find a module with a bunch of (probably) poorly secured wires. You might see some butt connectors and scotch locks.

chevyevery10

Reaction score
Was the remote original or after market. What extra fuses, what do they go to, do you extra items not original?
Are you following the OE

Valet switch and red light are indicative of an aftermarket security system. Squeez under the dash, head in the pedals, and see if you can find a module with a bunch of (probably) poorly secured wires. You might see some butt connectors and scotch locks.
Ya. Got everything pulled out and multiple scotch locks. I was certain I had keyless entry with a remote that looked factory. But its looking otherwise. Would programming a new remote still be same procedure or would the aftermarket security change that?