what do you all think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common vortec problems are bad fuel pumps, leaky fpr or injector, leaking intake gaskets, they really hate cheap ignition components too.

Check that it shifts into 4wd properly. With the push button system it will go into 4 hi while moving. Just press the button, the light should blink then go solid when everything is locked in. Then check the CV axles just like you would a front wheel drive car. Stop put it in neutral and shift to 4 lo. Again the light will go solid when its locked in. You should definitely feel a difference in the steering in low range. Also if you try to take a hard corner the rear will hop (mine does anyways). Stay under 45 mph in low range, hi can be used just like 2wd.

Then the normal stuff, check the condition an level of all the fluids. Get under the truck an look for leaks, or mud caked everywhere. I'll will an have passed on a otherwise nice truck if I see mud everywhere underneath. It will lead to rust issues later on. Since he says the front was just rebuilt I'd check that real well to see if it was or not. That's about all I can think of right now.

The only other thing is take a friend who doesn't have new truck fever to help you spot things you might miss in the excitement. And don't get mad at him if he tells you its junk an you should wait :D

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
The only other thing is take a friend who doesn't have new truck fever to help you spot things you might miss in the excitement. And don't get mad at him if he tells you its junk an you should wait :D

This. I have gone with many friends to look at vehicles and most are junk. I talked one guy down a grand on a $4,500 truck because of parts that needed to be fixed or that were rigged up. Take someone you trust and listen to them...

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just click on where it lists my 98 in my Sig. It will take you right to it.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
It looks like a pretty nice solid truck from the pictures..

Paul, how did you makw your build thread work with your "98 z71"