Vortec rocker options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asolek88

Reaction score
I am in the process of dropping a new L31 in my truck, what are my options for roller rockers? From what I understand it's a limited selection. I am looking for the best bang for my buck.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with the Scorpion 1.6 full rollers for 2 reasons. 1, I never heard anyone complain about them. 2, they are quiet. Also the fit under the stock valve covers.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
self aligning, narrow body rockers are what you're looking for...however I've used non-narrow body ones sucessfully, it may take a little altering the valve cover baffling though.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I went with the Scorpion 1.6 full rollers for 2 reasons. 1, I never heard anyone complain about them. 2, they are quiet. Also the fit under the stock valve covers.

I have these too, just be warned...you will probably have to open up your pushrod holes a little to run 1.6 ratio rockers or they will rub

asolek88

Reaction score
What do you mean open the push rod holes? Also what stud size? Self aligning? And why not 1.5 ratio?

Last edited:

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
What do you mean open the push rod holes? Also what stud size? Self aligning? And why not 1.5 ratio?

By opening up the push rod holes I just mean drill them out with a 1/2" bit. Stud size is 3/8. Self aligning means they have little plates on either side of the rocker tip to keep in on the vavle stem. Pushrod guide plates are not needed with self-aligning rockers. 1.5 ratio is fine, I just went with 1.6 because is raises your cam lift a little bit and was an easy install

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I am also running scorpions, love them i have 1.5 ratio, work great.

You must be registered for see images

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. Only 1.6 ratio rockers and cams with more lift need this. Since the pushrod will not only move vertically buy horizontally, the hole that they pass through in the head is only so big from the factory and needs to be clearanced.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By opening up the push rod holes I just mean drill them out with a 1/2" bit. Stud size is 3/8. Self aligning means they have little plates on either side of the rocker tip to keep in on the vavle stem. Pushrod guide plates are not needed with self-aligning rockers. 1.5 ratio is fine, I just went with 1.6 because is raises your cam lift a little bit and was an easy install

bingo, don't run guideplates with self aligning rockers. I'm using comp pro magnum 1.52 rockers without a problem, they aren't narrow body ones, so I had to alter the valve cover baffling to get the valve covers to fit back on, but otherwise they're working fine...

the pushrod hole drilling is only an issue with 1.6 ratio rockers, the stock ratio is 1.5....you really won't notice much of a difference with 1.6's realistically anyways.