Upgrade 1 Wheel Wonder Peel to Factory Locker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes, going from an open diff to a G80 is a downgrade. Go with a Eaton limited slip, auburn drop in, detroit, ect. something of that nature. Summit is where I get my stuff from.

Another thing is if you live in any place where you will get snow/ice, a locker in the rear with no 4x4 will make it real difficult to get around. Not the end of the world of course but something to think about.

I can't argue with you there, but I've got the truck around the last 2 winters with open diff rwd. Just thinking about giving myself a little bit of an advantage over what I currently have if it's not too much cash. Open diff snow runs are not fun(well they are sometimes) but my truck is really clean for the year and I considered selling it and upgrading to 4x4 but everything I find around here is pretty ragged.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No you should be better off with a open diff in the snow compared to one with a locker. The locker will lock with the slightest wheel spin and slide your passengers side right out. At least with the open diff you'll stay stable but either way you'll be moving slow.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
No you should be better off with a open diff in the snow compared to one with a locker. The locker will lock with the slightest wheel spin and slide your passengers side right out. At least with the open diff you'll stay stable but either way you'll be moving slow.

this is very true, my truck only does well in the snow if i have momentum it take s a bit to get it going with the locker as opposed to when it was just an open 10 bolt

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I prefer a limited slip in the winter over an open diff, you just have to on your game ready to handle it if it does spin.
If you want to do the junk yard thing check caprice and impala's, I think they will work.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
GM station wagons of the '90's came with eaton posi units. They fit the GMT400 rear ends. Wrecker's around here sell the wagon rear ends for around $150-$200. All you need is the carrier. The axles you have in the truck now will work with the wagon carrier.
A gear change is best left to experienced guys. Have to get the tooth pattern set, which involves shimming the carrier to get that tooth pattern/depth right. Used gear sets can be used, but they usually howl a bit because the pattern can never be set exactly as they originally were. The teeth take a set pattern as they get used. & it's virtually impossible to get them to be as they were.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I prefer a limited slip in the winter over an open diff, you just have to on your game ready to handle it if it does spin.
If you want to do the junk yard thing check caprice and impala's, I think they will work.

Me 2 x100

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

See I have never had an issue keeping it straight in the snow and on ice, but I do have issue on occasion getting going or getting out of a parking space if I'm parked on ice at even a slight slope. I'm not sure that 2 spinning tires would really help all that much but it seems better than 1 haha.

Why is it that an open diff is considered more stable in your example?