10 bolt upgrades ("big" 8.5", 30 spline, w/big axle shafts and big wheel bearings)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The full floater weighs considerably more. The drums alone weigh as much as a Buick...

I always thought the SF v. 10-bolt weight difference was more than 30 pounds, though.

I'm not sure what it is, but I know it's more significant if you compare the 8.5 with 10" drums to the 9.5 with 11" drums. I remember I was able to lift the 8.5" by myself all at once but for the 9.5 I had to lift one end at a time. Mine had the smaller drums.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beating a dead horse, but "who cares" about the axle assembly weight difference between an 8.5" ring gear and a 9.5" ring gear axle assemblies?

The 9.5" ring gear axle has somewhat larger axle tubes along with the larger axle shafts, and of course a bigger housing, bigger ring and pinion, bigger differential case...I'd expect more than 30 pounds difference.

The real issue when talking about "14-bolt" axle assemblies is WHICH "14-bolt"? The 10.5 ring gear housing uses a 14-bolt cover, too. And that one is a monster, when you're used to passenger car and 1500-truck axles. (Yes, there's bigger axles beyond that, but they're rare in light-duty trucks that don't have modern Diesels. See a lot of huge axles in school buses and 2-ton medium-duty vehicles, and of course they're bigger yet in semi-tractors.)

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Beating a dead horse, but "who cares" about the axle assembly weight difference between an 8.5" ring gear and a 9.5" ring gear axle assemblies?

The 9.5" ring gear axle has somewhat larger axle tubes along with the larger axle shafts, and of course a bigger housing, bigger ring and pinion, bigger differential case...I'd expect more than 30 pounds difference.

The real issue when talking about "14-bolt" axle assemblies is WHICH "14-bolt"? The 10.5 ring gear housing uses a 14-bolt cover, too. And that one is a monster, when you're used to passenger car and 1500-truck axles. (Yes, there's bigger axles beyond that, but they're rare in light-duty trucks that don't have modern Diesels. See a lot of huge axles in school buses and 2-ton medium-duty vehicles, and of course they're bigger yet in semi-tractors.)
I want to see someone put a 2-speed rear in a 3500HD. Our '67 Loadstar 1600 wrecker had a 345, 5-speed, and splitter rear.

Last edited:

Horntoad

Reaction score
I think @Horntoad is talking about a 10 bolt that has 11” drums.
Correct @Caman96. I'm comparing the axle assembly for a semi-float 8.5" 10 bolt (GVWR 7200-type that is designed for fitment with the 11" drums, which I would need if I were to upgrade to the 11" JB6 drums) versus a semi-float 9.5" 14 bolt. (In that case the brakes are the same - both 11" JB6 - so no weight difference from the brakes. And previously in this thread I looked at how a pair of 11" drums is only 10 lbs heavier than a pair of 10" drums; so even going from a 10-bolt 8.5 semi-float with JB5 10" drums to a 14 bolt 9.5 semi-float with JB6 11" drums only adds up to an increase of 40 lbs, or 58 lbs if both axles had a True-Trac limited slip.)

And I am not considering, for the sake of this thread or for my Tahoe, the 14 bolt full-float 10.5". That's of course a different horse.

I care, for one. Weight is one reason I've been unsure about the 14 bolt - and now I know, with real figures; and 30 lbs difference (or 48 lbs with a True-Trac) is what those numbers tell me. I figured I'd share those real numbers since we've been talking about it and because I think real numbers are more useful than supposition, rumor, or echo chamber. Each thing you change can potentially affect something else. Weight can be one factor. I'm not the type who thinks bigger is necessarily better. And I like to do my homework.

Thanks again to everyone for reading, commenting, providing their insight and experiences, and otherwise helping out. And Happy Friday!!

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Correct @Caman96. I'm comparing the axle assembly for a semi-float 8.5" 10 bolt (GVWR 7200-type that is designed for fitment with the 11" drums, which I would need if I were to upgrade to the 11" JB6 drums) versus a semi-float 9.5" 14 bolt. (In that case the brakes are the same - both 11" JB6 - so no weight difference from the brakes. And previously in this thread I looked at how a pair of 11" drums is only 10 lbs heavier than a pair of 10" drums; so even going from a 10-bolt 8.5 semi-float with JB5 10" drums to a 14 bolt 9.5 semi-float with JB6 11" drums only adds up to an increase of 40 lbs, or 58 lbs if both axles had a True-Trac limited slip.)

And I am not considering, for the sake of this thread or for my Tahoe, the 14 bolt full-float 10.5". That's of course a different horse.

I care, for one. Weight is one reason I've been unsure about the 14 bolt - and now I know, with real figures; and 30 lbs difference (or 48 lbs with a True-Trac) is what those numbers tell me. I figured I'd share those real numbers since we've been talking about it and because I think real numbers are more useful than supposition, rumor, or echo chamber. Each thing you change can potentially affect something else. Weight can be one factor. I'm not the type who thinks bigger is necessarily better. And I like to do my homework.

Thanks again to everyone for reading, commenting, providing their insight and experiences, and otherwise helping out. And Happy Friday!!
Some do care about weight, as you suggested. Take a look at the Ram Powerwagon. Super duper strong everywhere, but can't tow or hold much weight, legally. I learned from this thread.