Upgrade 1 Wheel Wonder Peel to Factory Locker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a guy on jeepforum that explained that the clutch based LSDs with preload could pull a non spinning wheel into spinning and lose lateral stability but he mentioned that gear based ones like a truetrac don't run that risk.

Also just to be clear. With the factory open diff in these trucks, the driver rear wheel never receives any torque ever correct? It's essentially 1 wheel drive.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Can you explain this?

my trutrac kicks in right away in the snow. it takes me awhile to get going as opposed to the blown out posi 10 bolt i had before. rain, snow, sleet anything like that on the roads youll slide all over the place as for dry pavement its a world of difference. i guess it depends on your driving capabilities.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One tire spinning keeps you more stable compared two because when both tires spin the rear end is completely loose and nothing is there to keep it from sliding around and hitting that car you are parked next to. With the open diff your drivers tire is there to stabilize you, hit the skinny peddle to hard and the spider gears that turn and allow just the one to turn, rather than both, explode because they do not have enough oil to keep cool and are spinning way to fast.

My Eaton LSD, clutch based, has rarely ever (if ever,) showed signs of "limited slipping" it has acted more like a locker.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also just to be clear. With the factory open diff in these trucks, the driver rear wheel never receives any torque ever correct? It's essentially 1 wheel drive.

No... An open diff drives both wheels evenly when traction is equal (IE pavement). When you lose traction the torque follows the path of least resistance to the wheel in the soft stuff. It however increases the speed of the spinning wheel proportionately... If you stop one wheel the speed of the other doubles.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No... An open diff drives both wheels evenly when traction is equal (IE pavement). When you lose traction the torque follows the path of least resistance to the wheel in the soft stuff. It however increases the speed of the spinning wheel proportionately... If you stop one wheel the speed of the other doubles.

Interesting. I was under the impression that we were 1 wheel drive.

If this is the case, the open diff suits my needs better than I thought.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Honestly if i were you i would just weld the spider gears inside your diff you have now. It wouldnt work as a posi but i would rather have a full time locked diff instead of a gov bomb :shrug:

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. I was under the impression that we were 1 wheel drive.

If you set the back of your truck on jack stands and put it in drive you can stop either wheel with your hand so there is no drive wheel per say. The open diff. just directs power to the path of least resistance. On the pavement it's both wheels and off road frequently just one or the other.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you set the back of your truck on jack stands and put it in drive you can stop either wheel with your hand so there is no drive wheel per say. The open diff. just directs power to the path of least resistance. On the pavement it's both wheels and off road frequently just one or the other.

I hadn't thought of that. I just remember I had done a burnout the last time I put tires on it(burning up the old haha) and just a one wheel peel on the passenger side. I wasn't aware it ever went to the driver wheel.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

Thats a good explanatiin i can never explain stuff like tht lol