Upgrade 1 Wheel Wonder Peel to Factory Locker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've got a 1991 c1500 with the f44 heavy duty chassis, gu6 3.42 rear gearing and no G80. I was just curious if it's possible and cost effective to swap over to a g80 rear end? What has to be changed, how much does it usually cost, and what were the gearing options for g80s?

I don't hate my 3.42s. They are ok but I think I would prefer a 3.73 if it's not too expensive or difficult to change while I'm already in there.

I'd also ask about rear disc brakes but I try to do my research before making threads so I'll post about that if I can't find the info.

Thanks,
Mitch

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cant help you with rear disks but I have done some research on adding factory posi... In my opinion the best most cost effective way to go is a junkyard unit. around here I can buy a full size truck rear end for less than $200 with all the brakes. You can get an aftermarket unit but your looking at alota coin, plus you cant just throw it in, you have to have proper clearances and such. Much easier to pull some U-joints and 1 brake line.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not spend the coin and have it last twice as long as the G80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not spend the coin and have it last twice as long as the G80

If you're not lifted on 35's with a tuner they last a lot longer... If you're close to stock they're not bad.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But if you are deadset on a G80 get a 14 bolt. The 10 bolt G80 are known as the gov bomb

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where can I find a 14 bolt g80, what are the gear ratio options in those(the ones that came in these trucks), and is there anything special about install or is it basically like a factory rear end replacement?

I'm pretty much stock and plan to stay that way. I've got 18" wheels with 255/70/18 all terrain tires off of an 08 jeep sahara on it but it doesn't go wheeling or anything. Just had a good bit of "fun" in the snow today and was thinking about a locker.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well 14 bolt is 8 lug unless you
Get a 454ss truck rear end.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok well I'd rather stick with 5 lug so what is the best option here?