Truck won't start, need suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the grey wire gets the 2 second burst of power for fuel pump when keyed on. And I believe the purple wire is for fuel gauge, while black/white striped is ground.

Last edited:

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK so.. More to the saga.

Had a couple of friends come by and we did some more testing. We determined the fuel pump is fine, and learned how to jump the relay and make it work. We also learned that the Amazon special pressure tester is junk. The Schrader valve was bad and I had pressure the whole time.

We then thought that maybe it's bad gas. We used the jump trick to pump 15 gallons of fuel out, hoping the water or whatever was in there went with it.

Its still not running right. Our next try is a new coil. We tested spark, and although we are getting spark, one of the guys said it looked weak.

Will update again when I have more info.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guys, im lost. i replaced the coil, and no change. there is only about 1/4 tank of fuel left but i find it hard to believe that the fuel is that bad that it wont run.

it runs about 5 minutes and dies. then wont restart.

what else to check?

fuel pump works.
fuel pressure is 10-13
new filter
new plugs
new plug wires
new cap
new rotor
new coil
pumped 15 gallons of fuel by jumping the relay without any glitches

i just made the first video of the progress public and i am working on edit for the second so you can see exactly what is going on.

Please help!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guys, im lost. i replaced the coil, and no change. there is only about 1/4 tank of fuel left but i find it hard to believe that the fuel is that bad that it wont run.

it runs about 5 minutes and dies. then wont restart.

what else to check?

fuel pump works.
fuel pressure is 10-13
new filter
new plugs
new plug wires
new cap
new rotor
new coil
pumped 15 gallons of fuel by jumping the relay without any glitches

i just made the first video of the progress public and i am working on edit for the second so you can see exactly what is going on.

Please help!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
At end of video showing the injectors spraying fuel.... Was that with the pump jumper wired? Maybe just me or the video? but that looked like way much fuel, on top of you said plugs looked fouled? Without a timing light I barely see my fuel spray....

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At end of video showing the injectors spraying fuel.... Was that with the pump jumper wired? Maybe just me or the video? but that looked like way much fuel, on top of you said plugs looked fouled? Without a timing light I barely see my fuel spray....
we have been saying that there seems to be a lot of fuel, but i have nothing to compare too. especially when im trying to start it. it seems to be dumping, but what would cause that?

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
we have been saying that there seems to be a lot of fuel, but i have nothing to compare too. especially when im trying to start it. it seems to be dumping, but what would cause that?
is the pump jump wired???? Also seems the fuel regulator like Caman96 said... IDK for sure, but like I said I have NEVER seen that much fuel spray without a timing light. And I see it CLEAR AS DAY IN VIDEO LOL.. crazy fuel amount looks like? Strange most regs I seen go bad are low pressure though. So IDK, ya need ask

Schurkey

or

PlayingWithTBI

members.. Looks like waay to much fuel to me, and IDK if jump wire to pump would do that?

Last edited:

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have full plugs, wires, cap, and rotor to go on as well.

Should I look into the ignition coil? Are they prone to fail?
My ignition coil just crapped out and left my young gentlemen on the side of the road so anectdotal says "yes"

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is the pump jump wired???? Also seems the fuel regulator like Caman96 said... IDK for sure, but like I said I have NEVER seen that much fuel spray without a timing light. And I see it CLEAR AS DAY IN VIDEO LOL.. crazy fuel amount looks like? Strange most regs I seen go bad are low pressure though. So IDK, ya need ask Shurkey or Playing With TbI members.. Looks like waay to much fuel to me, and IDK if jump wire to pump would do that?

It was not jumped. I didn't figure that out until video 2 and I only used that to run the pump without the truck running. Every time the truck was running it was connected factory.

Where is the fuel regulator?