Trouble choosing muffler/exhuast system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
Drone was one if the main reasons I didn't go with flow master. Also to me the magnaflows just don't sound as deep gut grumbly as I wanted from my truck. That's why I went with a spinTech. I don't have any drone at all that I can tell on the highway at 70+ even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the pipe I had been talking about, J-pipe. I am also going to look into those spinTech mufflers. As of right now though, I am liking the sound/loudness of the super 44 series.

Last edited:

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
True dual exhaust with a "h pipe" or "x pipe" would be ideal. You can also run a resonator to reduce drone.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I`m going to do some looking around with this `J pipe` and see what I can find. Also on how it work on a vehicle like my truck.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Just a little input and further clarification on a few things:

the flowmaster 10 series is the loudest street legal muffler (it's street legal but if you hammer the gas, I'd imagine they may pull you over for noise violation eventually) It will drone and it will probably drone like hell.

The flowmaster 40 series and 44 series are loud and deep and will also drone... They're slightly bigger (longer) mufflers and are therefore a bit quieter and deeper but still loud and still drone a fair amount

If you want something deep but that won't drone from flowmaster I'd recommend the 70 series stuff (may as well get their whole cat-back system at that.. sounds good no drone and sounds strong, certainly not too loud)
They have a 50 series and super 50 series... one guy I know told me the 50 series drones but I didn't get to ride in it to experience it. There's no way the drone could be bad at all on that.

As for magnaflow, they offer a cat-back system also and I really don't know much about it as I wanted a dignified deeper and better sounding tone in the Flowmaster and kind of didn't pay too much attention to magnaflow but a simple youtube search will yield some good results even on these 400's

Borla seems to have some good stuff, I just like the bigger and better name brands

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
We had a 50 series on a 2007 jeep grand Cherokee 3.7 v6. Even with a resonator, it droned like a mother! All new cat back. Sounded good for a v6 besides the drone though.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I'm really surprised a 50 series would drone that much especially in a v6. I'd think some of the drone would be minimized if the exhaust were run all the way back on a truck but it's good to have more confirmation that it definitely drones. I've been considering getting the super 50 series or 50 series HD for my truck in place of the 70 series big block but I just don't know