Trouble choosing muffler/exhuast system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, it seems the hardest part about choosing accessories for a truck is exhaust. There are so many different options such as loudness, muffler type, SI/SO SI/DO DI/DO, tips, cats, exhaust manifolds, cutouts, pipe diameter, x/y pipes, dual or single exhaust. The only trouble I have is finding what it will exactly sound like and for how loud it will be. It would be very very rare to find someone with the exact set-up on the same truck to see what it sounds like in person.
Also everyone has a different opinion as to what loud actually is.

I am looking at a single in, dual out for the truck. Wanting the pipes out the back with 3 inch tips cut at 45. I want a muffler that is loud at idle, and WOT does not matter. I will not be driving the truck hard. I do not like the sound of chambered mufflers like flow-master, but I hear that they are loud mufflers. I like the sound of borla, magnaflow type mufflers. Unfortunately, magnaflows are only loud at WOT. I do not personally like raspy exhaust like 99% of the other 16 year old kids with a v8 truck.
I have thought about magnapaks (14x4 round body) were louder than regular magnaflows, but are they loud enough for my tastes?

I believe the stock on the truck is 3 inch in, 2 1/4 dual out. Exits behind passenger wheel. Reg cab, long box configuration, stock 350 chevy. Straight pipe loud is probably going to be out of the question. (Heard it is very very loud, but not personally heard it in person.) I want people to look at the truck as it rolls by, or at idle. Do not want the cops to be chasing me around though. I love deep aggressive sounding exhaust.
Also dont want much drone. If there is a particular muffler that I like and does drone, I heard that there is a type of pipe that can be added to remove the drone. (Shaped partially as a U IIRC)

-Would I want a true dual system, or SI/DO. I am a little bit worried about back pressure with true duals and don't want to compromise any performance.

-Rylen

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Magnaflow Magnapacks, they sound great at idle, driving down the road it sounds great (not too loud) step on it and enjoy the sound, I have the stock y pipe, 3" piping from the cat back, and stock manifolds

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
Magnaflow Magnapacks, they sound great at idle, driving down the road it sounds great (not too loud) step on it and enjoy the sound, I have the stock y pipe, 3" piping from the cat back, and stock manifolds

I have a similar setup only I have a spintech 3000 series. I love but am considering going to a 6000 for more sound LoL! I will be cutting the tailpipe tomorrow and putting a dump tip on it after the axle. I want to see if I can get more sound before I spend $100 to buy another muffler LoL! Since my neighbor has some welders we will be doing it in the driveway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a similar setup only I have a spintech 3000 series. I love but am considering going to a 6000 for more sound LoL! I will be cutting the tailpipe tomorrow and putting a dump tip on it after the axle. I want to see if I can get more sound before I spend $100 to buy another muffler LoL! Since my neighbor has some welders we will be doing it in the driveway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dumps sound great, I had mine dumped but hated the drone

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Just to throw more info at yah, here's mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLew4pnTvMw

Mine probably wouldn't be good for you because it's not exactly loud at idle (I can hear it idling when I'm inside my house and truck's parked maybe 30 feet from it).. it's just deep. Sounds good driving and no drone but I sometimes wish it were a little louder

Anyways my advice to you is to search youtube for muffler sound clips... there's a thread for it on here too I'm sure you'll find one that fits what you like. Just as a random brand to throw out there (I don't know much about it and wouldn't put my name behind it) Dynomax. I've heard some people say good things about it... not sure what you'd think of it and I haven't heard it in person yet...

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I have the Spintech 3000 like Cadon69 and I love it. Not overly loud but definitely noticeable!

Last edited:

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should state that I don`t want obnoxious loud at idle. As far as flowmaster -- 40 series for example --, I like the sound of it on some systems, but on other systems I do not like it. (Guessing some removed cats, a little raspy).

Thanks for all the help anyways so far!

-Rylen.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Both Flowmaster and Magnaflow sell a cat-back system to fit straight on after the cats.. I got the flowmaster cause I wasn't sure how loud the magnaflow would be and I didn't want to gamble but something tells me one of those magnaflow cat-backs would sound real good