trash truck rear drum brake sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well folks, im at my wits end!
1997 2dr,swb,silverado, Front disk rear drum. It seems i have been fighting this problem since a friend borrowed my trk. and parked it with the emer. brake on. I hopped in it 5 miles up the rd i could smell brakes , looked in my drivers mirror and the rear drivers wheel was SMOKING. I dont use emer. brake so didnt think to release it.
Where i am going with this story is now every time i come to a slow stop , the noise sounds like a trash truck trying to stop. Im ready to get rid of it but i have too much invested in it....
when the problem started i bought new brake shoes (walker) and replaced them. worked great for about 2 weeks then it came back so i bought new drums , same thing after bout 2 weeks the squeeling came back. Put new emer.brake cables and all new springs and hardware for the brakes hubs and they still squeek. pulled the new drums off cleaned them, put on another new set of shoes (duralast) and adjusted them but still the same thing. now WHAT TO DO?

thanx for any help

Mike
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

glikegerardo

Reaction score
My 92 made a terrible sound after new shoes and drums so I had to replace the wheel cylinder because it had gone bad and wasn’t holding the shoes against the drum correctly.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
As @bjett mentioned, if everything didn’t get replaced or turned at the same time (New shoe & New drum surface) you can run into problems. Also check wheel cylinders as mentioned and wheel bearing. As the oil could have been cooked at the ends by the excessive heat from the brakes. I have never personally seen this. But rarely see anyone ride with the parking brake on and could be worth an investigation.