99 suburban k1500 6 lug drums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say I miss the days of rebuilding calipers. Not that big a deal but is way easier to install a reman unit.

I have a lot of respect for anyone who can and wants to do such things themselves.

As for me, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Lately I've been getting the "coated" reman calipers, they look snazzy, longer.

I could rebuild them myself and have a local shop powdercoat them, but I haven't.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for anyone who can and wants to do such things themselves.

As for me, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Lately I've been getting the "coated" reman calipers, they look snazzy, longer.

I could rebuild them myself and have a local shop powdercoat them, but I haven't.
Coated and non coated price difference is $2.

Raybestos it is! Shipping is $20.. havent paid for shipping in about 6 years

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The old rear calipers with the park brake set up, were fun to do.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I've said many other times, in several other threads:

I got my larger-piston extended-cab calipers by complete chance, from my favorite Treasure Yard. By total coincidence, that happened to be the truck that was being prepared for the crusher that day, so removing the entire front suspension was no real loss to them. Wasn't until I got the parts home that I realized they were bigger/better than what was on my truck. I had to go back for the master cylinder and booster after I figured-out what was going on.

Pulled 'em apart for cleaning and inspection, put 'em back together, and they've been in-service on my '88 K1500 for many years.
You must be registered for see images attach

"Crust" on the square-cut seal, partially-removed with a fingernail. Seal was otherwise in usable condition.

Going back together with the seals and mounting pieces lubed.
Those eere indeed a very good find!

Thank you for all your input. I have a treasure yard close by, what I don’t want is to come back and spend more time rebuilding or fixing a leak.

Going back to work on Monday so I need to have the brakes all complete by Sunday night

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those being the 3" low-drag calipers, if I understand correctly.
Yup.

The old rear calipers with the park brake set up, were fun to do.
I have those on the back of my two Lumina--'92 and '93. They have a terrible reputation for "seizing". My actual experience with them is that they're wonderfully reliable, easy to pull apart for cleaning and inspection using a simple short-cut (remove the nut and washer retaining the park brake lever, remove the lever, push the caliper piston in or out like normal. The screw activating the piston when the park brake applies, spins instead of turning the piston.) The "real" problem with the brakes on the early W-bodies is the power booster, not the calipers.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theoretically, would this be considered 3 inch piston? A local dad/mom shop has centrics 14166017
Piston Diameter (IN)2.953
Piston Diameter (mm)75.000

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Am I thinking of this wrong? Should i consider this 3in?

Measured new centric calipers
71.6mm or 2.82inches

Attachments

• IMG_2043.jpeg
    IMG_2043.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2044.jpeg
    IMG_2044.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 2