Brakes sound like a horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monsterwake

Reaction score
I pulled the drums last night. It does not appear that they have had any oil on them and I did clean them but they are really smooth. Like they have never been serviced. No divots. Also no grease on the backing plates. I did notice that. That is something easy I can do pretty quickly.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It stops fine just loud when this happens. Only happens at low speeds just before the truck completely stops.

Your latest comment reminded me of a specific brake noise diagnostic section in the FSM:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

What caught my eye is that the engineers want you to check both the front disc and rear drum
assemblies? How sure are you that your drums are misbehaving? Could it be that the front
discs got jealous of the attention lavished on the rear and decided to be the newest noise source?

Here is where Schurkey would ask you to get the noise showing on demand, and then use
just the parking brakes to slow the truck to a stop? If anything, making the rear brakes do all
the work should help to stimulate the fault. If the noise persists, then whatever it takes to
make the drums as right as the factory specs out. (See attached.)

But IF the noise no longer appears with the parking brakes only, then according to the engineers
you need to locate the looseness up front that's allowing the brake system to break into audible
oscillation.

And if you don't already have the FSMs downloaded, don't hesitate to do so. It has both a
good section on the brakes, and a separate section on troubleshooting NHV issues.
(Noise, Harshness, Vibration)

I'll see if I can get them resurfaced and if that don't work I'll see what new ones cost.

Resurfacing your existing drums will give you a better behaved brake system no matter if
it's the root cause of your horn noise or not. As mentioned by others, depending upon
the shipment from where they were made and IF the instructions on the box were followed
(store/ship flat, not on end) new drums have been problematic. Instead, if your old drums
are OEM quality and can still be cut legally, then that's the direction I would go.

But before I would throw a lot of money back there only to be disappointed
if the noise were to remain, please do your best to verify that the noise is actually
coming from the back or the front first per the FSM troubleshooting tree.

Best of luck, and thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Cheers --

Attachments

• Brake drum refinishing guidelines (arrows) - 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    Brake drum refinishing guidelines (arrows) - 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 5

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Thank you. I am pretty positive it is coming from the rear but I will validate.

Assuming that your mechanical parking brake setup is functional, this gives you the
front vs back diagnostic info you need in a stop or two. 3 minutes invested, tops. :0)

Let us know what you discover.