Transmission Ground Strap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a dedicated transmission ground strap or is it something that’s just incorporated into its harness? Read something recently where a builder also added an additional to all his rebuilds.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ground provisioning is in the harness, at least for the units i work on (GM, Ford, Dodge rear wheel drive).
That’s what I was thinking, that comment I’d read got me wondering where or how that would even work.
I figured I’d ask cause I’m ordering another ground strap for my hood light fixture. I just touched it today and it snapped in 1/2 like a mummy! If anyone needs some, check these guys out. Made in USA and good prices.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Transmission should have zero issue grounding through the engine block as it's grounded to the firewall and the frame through the main battery ground to the intake or accessory drive (depending on year) and passenger side head; as long as the regular grounds are good, should be no problem at all.

Richard

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
True, there is no gasket but the cast iron block most of these trucks are using to the aluminum case probably becomes aluminum oxide after time and thus no longer conducts well.. but the shafts and the bolts and the entire perimeter of the bellhousing as well as the transmission mount (if it just bolts to rubber which a bracket then bolts it down to the crossmember.. then nvm as this would be insulated.)

also, like said the harness should. But it couldnt hurt to add one just add one where it wont interfere with the torque or the thread engagement of something important. Like an unused casting provision or boss

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals like Aurora mentioned, I don’t see an advantage of grounding the case. the grounds for the sensors and solenoids should be in the harness.

I’m adding “transmission-frame, ground strap” to my list of things to do. :Big Laugh: Might not help, but it won’t hurt.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen where an engine ground was missing and the negative cable was bolted to just a frame. The truck (late 70s Ford) was killing alternators and having slow cranking when hot. The entire drivetrain was grounded through the driveshaft to the rear end and back up through the parking brake cable. I was surprised that the Neverspark ignition system didn't croak.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this where you got your others? Those are much less expensive than I thought they would be.
I did. And upgraded rear engine to frame straps from 1/2 to 3/4 while picking the correct eyelet size and length. You really can’t find them the correct sizes unless you have them made. And then even if you find them pre-made, they are twice as much and something about the size is wrong.