Transmission Ground Strap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This jibes with the GM design, so "yeah".

Notice that GM uses a star ground design on the GMT400 and I suspect most of their modern vehicles, and there's a reason.

Dropping random, additional grounds into an existing design is... a gamble. The resulting ground paths can turn out to be a bad thing... not always, but perhaps, and so best avoided.

Augmenting / maintaining the existing ground layout is the better approach.

If someone really wants to add a transmission case ground strap, add it between the case and the engine block. I wouldn't suggest it, but what do I know :oops:
I see what you’re saying, along the lines of “ground loops”. But, that usually applies to audio and video circuits, or the mosfet power supplies that are associated with them. I’d assume maybe modern CAN-BUS stuff that uses mili-volts for information transmission would also be affected.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you’re saying, along the lines of “ground loops”. But, that usually applies to audio and video circuits, or the mosfet power supplies that are associated with them. I’d assume maybe modern CAN-BUS stuff that uses mili-volts for information transmission would also be affected.

Certainly, regarding low-power circuits, where a loop can act as an antenna and introduce tramp currents / voltages into the "ground", i.e., so that the "ground" is no longer a common voltage reference. Hence, the OE's approach to sensor and control device grounding in vehicles since ECUs were introduced. I know you're well aware.

But interestingly the approach is evident on high-current circuits as well, presumably for other reasons than "it might act as an antenna". I've noticed this in vehicular applications, e.g., the GMT400. Perhaps this practice is in consideration for induced currents, e.g., "current passing through one conductor in proximity to another conductor will induce a current in the other".

CAN bus FWIW uses differential signaling on a wire pair (probably twisted pair in practice), which is more immune to coupling / induced interference because of it being (a) differential signalling (one net effect being it discriminates against signals that be induced in common across both wires) and (b) on twisted wires, much like Ethernet signalling over twisted pairs. You may be well aware of this.

Welcome to my rabbit hole. Now signing off...

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Certainly, regarding low-power circuits, where a loop can act as an antenna and introduce tramp currents / voltages into the "ground", i.e., so that's "ground" is no longer a common voltage reference. Hence, the OE's approach to sensor and control device grounding in vehicles since ECUs were introduced. I know you're well aware.

But interestingly the approach is evident on high-current circuits as well, presumably for other reasons than "it might act as an antenna". I've noticed this in vehicular applications, e.g., the GMT400. Perhaps this practics is in consideration for induced currents, e.g., "current passing through one conductor in proximity to another conductor will induce a current in the other".

CAN bus FWIW uses differential signaling on a wire pair (probably twisted pair in practice), which is more immune to coupling / induced interference because of it being (a) differential signalling (one net effect being it discriminates against signals that be induced in common across both wires) and (b) on twisted wires, much like Ethernet signalling over twisted pairs. You may be well aware of this.

Welcome to my rabbit hole. Now signing off...
And what is your field of choice for career or hobby? I feel like I'd need to do some background reading to understand any/all of this.