Trailer Lights Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of where my plug is mounted. Like I said I don't really want to replace it with a bigger one since I'd have to drill a bigger hole than is already there... I would love to have a 7 pin and to convert the horse trailer to 7 pin. I would love to have AUX power to keep the emergency break-away brakes battery charged.

Please excuse the absence of a bumper... I was changing the bumper and decided to paint the hitch receiver while I had it off. It had been on my to-do list to paint it anyway

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

It's crooked in this picture since I had already unbolted it at this point so that I could mask it off before I painted. It's normally straight I promise lol

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh ok, that would drive me nuts if it was crooked. I would honestly pull that one out and mount a 7 way elsewhere. If you have a welder or know someone who is good with one, you can fill that hole in and make it so that hole was never there.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh ok, that would drive me nuts if it was crooked. I would honestly pull that one out and mount a 7 way elsewhere. If you have a welder or know someone who is good with one, you can fill that hole in and make it so that hole was never there.
You can actually see it still mounted straight in the first picture.

I wish I would have thought of welding that before I painted the whole receiver assembly... I just barely got done painting it Friday and I don't really want to burn off all my new paint by welding it. I have a welder and I know I could fill it in decently but I think I'll just leave it there for now. I don't see any reason why I couldn't still add the 7 pin plug and keep that one there.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you could run both, I dont see why not. It would save you needing an adapter. You can buy connectors that are both 7 pin round and 5 pin flat. If you have the 6er still mounted you could hook any trailer you wanted to the back and be able to plug in no adapters needed

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you could run both, I dont see why not. It would save you needing an adapter. You can buy connectors that are both 7 pin round and 5 pin flat. If you have the 6er still mounted you could hook any trailer you wanted to the back and be able to plug in no adapters needed

I think that is what I am leaning towards right now. That would be sweet to never need an adapter and I don't see any reason to convert the utility or sled trailer to 7 pin. Maybe I'll go shopping for a good 7 pin plug now.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
get a 7round 5flat and laugh the whole way home

How common is the 5 flat? I've never seen one personally and I just looked on amazon and I couldn't find any plugs that had the 7&5 just the 7&4. maybe my local RV place would have one.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5 is found in bigger boat trailers. But if you do a 5 flat, the 4 plugs in perfect as does a 5 flat. I found mine at princess auto

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I knew that the 4 plug would plug in to the 5 plug... I was just wondering if I might ever come across one that I needed to plug in. Lots of my neighbors have boats so the there is a possibility that I might want to tow one some day.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
boat trailers are the only thing I have seen with a 5 flat. Horse trailers come in 6 and 7 round. I guess it all depends on what you want to tow. The 5 flat and 7 round is what I have.