Trailer Lights Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been noticing that about every gmt-400 that I see that has been wired for towing has the plug in a different spot. haha I was just wondering if there is any way it was done factory or if everything I've seen is after market stuff.

My truck has the little round 6 pin plug (it is six right?) and it's mounted in the square tube that is part of the hitch receiver. here are some of the ways I've seen them mounted
  • Like mine in the hitch
  • in the bumper where the left licence plate light normally is
  • with a L bracket that was just screwed to the bottom of the bumper
  • just hanging there lol

I've seen both 6 pin plugs and the 7 pin RV plugs mounted in all of the above places. Is there any "normal" or factory spot/way it's done or does every shop that installs things like that do it differently? I've also seen trucks with both the 6 pin and the 7 pin plugs so they don't have to use adapters.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally have 7 round RV mounted right beside my receiver hitch. Its a perfect location IMO, i'll see if i can find a picture.. As far as where to mount it, it's really just preferance. Any of them that i install, i usually mount them beside the receiver hitch so it blends in nice and doesn't stick out or anything. As far as them coming factory, i don't think so. My truck has the towing package, and just had the wires ran and didn't have the plug. I personally haven't seen any GMT400's that came factory with the plug, maybe they came factory on GMT400 3500's?

Edit: Here's the best picture i have of it:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like that location it looks clean. I like where my 6 pin in mounted too. I don't think I have a picture but I could get one later. Whoever installed it must have drilled a hole in the square tube to mount it. It is mounted right about where that sticker with the tow ratings is that you can just barely see in your picture... I don't have one of those stickers.

Maybe I'll add a 7 pin just like yours and then I'll have both and I won't have to use adapters or possibly drill a bigger hole to replace the smaller 6 pin I've got... That sounds pretty good :)

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i dunno this is mine

You must be registered for see images attach

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6 pin is pretty useless IMO... the only thing I have seen with a 6 lately is a horse trailer

3 out of the 4 trailers that I own have a 6 pin plug... A home built utility trailer, a 2 place snowmobile trailer, and the horse trailer. The RV is the only one with the 7 pin. So it's not useless to me unless I wired a new plug on 3 of my trailers.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they older trailers? Most trailers are either a 4 or 5 flat or a 7 way... atleast that I have seen. Im not trying to be a dick, but it seems with a 7way you can plug into anything

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they older trailers? Most trailers are either a 4 or 5 flat or a 7 way... atleast that I have seen. Im not trying to be a dick, but it seems with a 7way you can plug into anything

Personally I have converted all my trailers to the 7 way. It's really nice to have an AUX wire for the trailer!

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I got thinking about it and I realized that only one of the trailers actually came with the 6 pin plug... That was the horse trailer. The home built utility trailer I wired up the 6 pin on it since that is what the other trailers (except the rv) used and I just now remembered that I actually converted the sled trailer from a 4 pin to a 6 pin. It's just one of those things where I had a 6 pin plug on the truck and I keep an adapter in the burb so 6 pin was the natural choice to use for the 2 trailers that I had a choice on *shrug*

I can agree that the 7 pin is sort of the Chuck Norris of all the plug options but here is my dilemma... Like I said whoever installed the trailer plug must have drilled a hole in the square tube that makes up the hitch. I don't think it is a big enough hole to have cause or cause any problems with the strength. But if I was to want to convert my truck to a 7 pin I would have to drill a hole that was quite a bit bigger to put the plug there. My only other option would be to just leave the 6 pin there and mount a 7 pin to the side like Mean Green has done. I haven't ever had a super pressing need to pull the RV with my truck instead of the burb but if a time came that I needed/wanted to I would hate to have to wire up the plug right then lol

Mean Green said:
Personally I have converted all my trailers to the 7 way. It's really nice to have an AUX wire for the trailer!
I guess I never realized that I didn't have an aux wire going to the trailer... I could have sworn that the brakes and the orange aux wire were wired into the plug. Is that not possible with the 6 way? It seems that if you could get all the lights with a 4 way then a 6 way would have 2 extra pins that could be used for brakes and aux. I guess I'm just a little confused now.

Wow my all my posts seem to be long and wordy lately! lol

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5th pin is normally back up lights, 6th pin is brakes, 7th is a battery charging for rvs ans such but can be used as an aux like he said.