Towing.... Stuff.... A long way.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two parts stores near me. Napa and Autozone. Duralast Gold DG370SD (Heavy Duty for towing) or Napa's Premium Ceramic or Ultra Premium Semi-Metallic. I'm leaning towards the Ceramic.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice is just stay aware and be careful everything is multiplied with a trailer

Thanks. True but Lucy (Pronounced "Louz-ee") my GPS tends to spring things on my at the last minute. LOL. Either way my brakes pads are too thin for towing.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made it!

I went with the Semi-Metallic Super Duty Pads from Autozone. They worked great! I also replaced all 4 front Ball-Joints before I left, and the fuel-pump which decided to die when I went to hit the road. Better in my driveway than 400 miles away. CGVW was just over 17,000 and I managed 8.4MPG by keeping it in 3rd the whole way down. It was suggested to me that by keepin it in 3rd, not only will the transmission be shifting less, but it will also keep good flow through the tranny cooler at the lower speed. The return trip the trailer was unloaded and my CGVW was 10,800. I left in in OD. It was never hunting. Most the travel was done during night hours, but we still managed to backup traffic in some places and draw crowds when we stopped in others.

I'm going to make another trip down with just an old TravelAll on the trailer in a couple weeks, but I'm going to install a Tranny Temp Gauge before then though.

Attachments

• MorDuand Datsun.jpg
    MorDuand Datsun.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Mater.jpg
    Mater.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 40

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I went with the Semi-Metallic Super Duty Pads from Autozone. They worked great! I also replaced all 4 front Ball-Joints before I left, and the fuel-pump which decided to die when I went to hit the road. Better in my driveway than 400 miles away. CGVW was just over 17,000 and I managed 8.4MPG by keeping it in 3rd the whole way down. It was suggested to me that by keepin it in 3rd, not only will the transmission be shifting less, but it will also keep good flow through the tranny cooler at the lower speed. The return trip the trailer was unloaded and my CGVW was 10,800. I left in in OD. It was never hunting. Most the travel was done during night hours, but we still managed to backup traffic in some places and draw crowds when we stopped in others.

I'm going to make another trip down with just an old TravelAll on the trailer in a couple weeks, but I'm going to install a Tranny Temp Gauge before then though.
Sub looks great man and that tow truck is sweet!

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I should clarify.... He backed up traffic. I, on the other hand, kept playing leapfrog because I couldn't drive that slow. The wrecker is a 1951 IH, hooked up is a KB8.

Sent from my DROID Maxx using Tapatalk

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I have going on today....
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my DROID Maxx using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I am glad you had no issues with towing. :) Glad you also looked your rig over before leaving, changing ball joints and brake pads. Most people don't want to take the time to do a once-over every system before heading out on an excursion like that, and you can get into a lot of trouble, quickly if you aren't familiar with your vehicle.

Expenses can add up fast if you have to tow your trailer and vehicle to a shop to have repairs made before continuing on your journey, not to mention extra food and possible accommodations.