Towing a stuck vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
cant get it sorry guys dont worrie didnt sound as good as i though so your not missing anything

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im sorry but i disagree with this,,, the tension on the chain no matter how heavy is going to result in a similar action,,, with my family being in the auto salvage and towing business ive first hand watched chains, cables, and straps failing... anytime ive ever pulled using anything ive always thrown a towel or a shirt over the middle of the chain to take the recoil out of it if it broke and its worked plenty of times,,, ive witnessed a chain smashing back window out of truck because of failure.. get on youtube and watch some videos..

in that video the recoil of that strap wouldve been no different from the recoil of a chain in the same situation...

just my 2 cents

Quote from 4 pages ago...

This is spot on..

A chain will store energy the same as a tow strap or winch cable. The only time we've ever used a tow strap in an extraction is if the stuck vehicle does not have suitable tow points or none at all, we will wrapp a length of chain around the axle several time and use it as a choker, then we pull off that.

I also saw in here about putting floor mats over straps and winch lines, That is a great point, even if you throw a jacket over a steel winch line, if is snaps you want something to absorb all the stored energy in that line. If you have synthetic line, not so much of an issue, but still make sure your pulling from a solid, frame mounted tow point that is adequately rated for that vehicle.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cough cough,,, rep rep,,, cough cough,,,, lmao