torsion bar key question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your going to install it yourself the cheapest place for a body lift is summit racing......

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
how about for the rear bumber? i noticed some trucks dont have the rear bumber raised, do you have to order a specific kit to raise it too?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard you can flip the rear bumper brakets and it will work or you can buy the rear brackets for it. most people dont lift it because of the trailer hitch hanging so low after you move the bumper

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
If your going to install it yourself the cheapest place for a body lift is summit racing......

honestly it wouldnt be worth the hassel to me, i live in a apartment in the city and am limited in tools so a floor jack+socket wrenches sounds like a pain in the ass, there is a shop right near me that quoted my roommate $325-$350 for his 98 tahoe, so ill have to see

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
I have heard you can flip the rear bumper brakets and it will work or you can buy the rear brackets for it. most people dont lift it because of the trailer hitch hanging so low after you move the bumper
im going to have to lift it and then see how it looks and see if it bothers me because if it doesnt then id just leave it lower

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a question on being too far cranked you guys said no more then 2 flats should touch on the cv boots, well I got about 3 touching and I'm like 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the droop stops, one key is cranked to the max the other is not.

You guys say this is too much, well my back end is still higher then the front and have no block. How the crap are you guys blocking the back and cranking it up to match without being too high?

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I got a question on being too far cranked you guys said no more then 2 flats should touch on the cv boots, well I got about 3 touching and I'm like 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the droop stops, one key is cranked to the max the other is not.

You guys say this is too much, well my back end is still higher then the front and have no block. How the crap are you guys blocking the back and cranking it up to match without being too high?

First, its a general rule, every truck will be different. Second, it sounds like your bars are sagging. And 3rd, personally, I don't mind a little rake in my truck, I only cranked to gain clearance on the 285s.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
First, its a general rule, every truck will be different. Second, it sounds like your bars are sagging. And 3rd, personally, I don't mind a little rake in my truck, I only cranked to gain clearance on the 285s.

yeah the bars sagging is what id imagine is the issuse with all these trucks....i am willing to bet that if you got one of these trucks straight out of the show room brand new, the rake would probably be extremely little.
hey wagon, did you have clearance issuses with those tires before you blocked and cracked? because i used to have 295 bfgoodwrench all terrains and never had a tire rub or anything, unfortunetly those tires are $295 a piece and i really dont want to spend $1200 on four tires plus installation

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score

i have to go get a quote because i was looking around on summitracing last night and found a 3inch body lift for like $160 and if they want $350 then id consider doing it myself

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
yeah the bars sagging is what id imagine is the issuse with all these trucks....i am willing to bet that if you got one of these trucks straight out of the show room brand new, the rake would probably be extremely little.
hey wagon, did you have clearance issuses with those tires before you blocked and cracked? because i used to have 295 bfgoodwrench all terrains and never had a tire rub or anything, unfortunetly those tires are $295 a piece and i really dont want to spend $1200 on four tires plus installation

I only ever rubbed them while turning over bumps which loaded the tires unevenly. Keep in mind that though mine are 285s, they have a lot of side block so they're "wider" than your average 285, and I'm also not on factory offset.

I didn't have them mounted on this truck prior to the lift and level, but I did have them on my blazer prior, and I did not have the front end cranked at all.