torsion bar key question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstiles90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a 98 z71 about a month ago i had they keys installed and bigger tires on also.im thankin they cranked the bars a lil to much .the front end sits up a couple inches higher than the back end now.there is hardly anygive in the front suspension now its stiff.i just want oppinions on if this gonna tear up the front end.looks like its rough on the ball joints in my oppinion but i dolt really wanna touch it cuZ its had and ailiagnment done .

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bad are your cv angles? Are your upper A arms touching the droop stops?

If they are touching it is cranked too much and should be decrancked some.

cstiles90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no its not touching the droop stops.really havent looked at the cv angles.how should it look.the ball joints just look stressed imo.

tsoderstrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well with the ball joints you can improve that by "flipping them" which is basically bolting them under the A arm as opposed to on top of it, provided they are aftermarket thus are bolted not riveted, otherwise they need to be replaced. As for your CV angles I have read that a good rule of thumb was to look at the boot and if more than two of the ribs are touching you are cranked too far.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well how much room is between the droop stops and the A arm? usually if you have reasonable room between them your cv's are fine. Pics would help to tell for sure or not.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Well with the ball joints you can improve that by "flipping them" which is basically bolting them under the A arm as opposed to on top of it, provided they are aftermarket thus are bolted not riveted,

that changes the arm travel arc from the lower one and makes it look like the tire is about to fall off as the suspension cycles, not exactly good for tire wear.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
that changes the arm travel arc from the lower one and makes it look like the tire is about to fall off as the suspension cycles, not exactly good for tire wear.

neither is cranking up the bars. lol or the wear of anything else for that matter. Doesn't stop most of us.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would decrank to level and trim if needed to clear the new tires. If you think the ball joints look stressed then there is a good chance they are. Your truck will eat front end parts (balljoints, idler/pitman arms, TRE's) also is very hard on CV axles. You will save the cost of your new allignment if you decrank with the longer life of your front end. Not to mention the money already wasted by installing the keys and having a shop do the job.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
first off keys on these trucks DO NOTHING. The stockers crank you high enough. They will crank just as high as you are now and to the droop stops even, if not then the bars are worn no keys will fix that.

2nd when you crank, stock keys or crap aftermarket ones it makes it stiffer.

front end being that much higher, lift the rear or lower the front, take pics of the front cv and control arms from the front showing how steep the angles are and post.

cstiles90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
after i look 1 side is good its just 1 side cranked to far.2 ribs touching on one side and 3 on the other.ball joint looks fine on the side thats not cranked to far.so to uncrank it a bit all i need to do is back the bolt out a bit correct?its bout a half inch maybe 3 quarters higher than the other side but how is this gonna affect my alaignment if i uncrank it a lil i got brand new tires on it but dont have the mone2y for an aiaignment right now