torsion bar key question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
nah i never honestly price them, i dont think i could bring myself around to doing a solid axle swap because it just reminds me to much of a ford and where i come from you can get shot for driving a ford

I guess I don't see the link. Though, ford axles are the most desired for the swap.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Thats a very polarizing topic on this forum, you either love it or hate it. Mine was one of the many that used to have a plow on it and didn't come with a valance, so I've decided that I don't like them out of convenience. LOL

so today at work on my lunch break i riped my valance off and i thik i prefer the look of it now except i must have been drunk when i installed my hooks be cause the passenger one has 3 spacers on it and the drivers side had none so imma have to fix that lol

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
man i live in louisiana, your either a hardcore chevy fan, or a hardcore ford fan, there is no middle ground

Try living where these trucks were MADE (where I am sitting I can reach the town that MANY OBS trucks and SUVs were made in in an hour and a half). I promise you it is no different. My point is that solid axle = ford... does not compute.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do you know whats the mazimum amout on average that it will allow you to lift it?

My 88 has the stock everything up front and I am almost cranked to the droop stops(and could get there) I have 1.5" blocks and I cranked to within a half inch so I think I ended up neting 3 1/2" of lift in front. It looks cool as hell but the front end is hating life.

You must be registered for see images

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
damn that front axle looks like its taking a beating, i was working on my ball joints today and i jst have to button things up tomorrow and then im going to tinker with the torsion keys and see how it treats me

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Try living where these trucks were MADE (where I am sitting I can reach the town that MANY OBS trucks and SUVs were made in in an hour and a half). I promise you it is no different. My point is that solid axle = ford... does not compute.

ha im originally from conneticut so i can say this but these rednecks are freaking retarded so yod be suprised lol

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn that front axle looks like its taking a beating

entire truck takes a beating, it was nothing for that to see 60mph+ ditch runs and clear 50ft long jumps, I bottomed it out many times, probably why it needs cab mounts and rear shock mounts. I broke both the leaf spring perches in the rear and had my front shocks seize and break when fully compressed. I beat the **** out of it in highschool, buddy bet me I wouldn't run over probably 75 cones on the highway(35mph zone, so I was probably doing 50) in town one night, needless to say I won that bet. It got drove like a trophey truck and took it all on like no problem so now I'm going to restore it and build the truck I want it to be.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 88 has the stock everything up front and I am almost cranked to the droop stops(and could get there) I have 1.5" blocks and I cranked to within a half inch so I think I ended up neting 3 1/2" of lift in front. It looks cool as hell but the front end is hating life.

Damn boy!!!!! How often do you have to replace CV's and balljoints in that thing? Also it has to ride like a brick:lol:

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn boy!!!!! How often do you have to replace CV's and balljoints in that thing? Also it has to ride like a brick:lol:

Ball joints, done both uppers, cvs never and I think a brick rides a little better. I didn't run this setup long, well not many miles that way I should say, same stance for almost the last 2 years. I think I have put 200 miles on it since November of 2010. Its going under the knife soon, coverting the interior to satin black plastics, suede headliner, GMT800 bucket seats, black leather with suede inserts, center sub box with a Sundown SA-12, Autometer guages. Its also going to get an RCX 6" lift with a shackle flip out back, keeping the angles flat and 5100 shocks, 4.56 gears so it should ride pretty good. I would like a 6.0L with a 4L80E but I built my 700R4 and I think I'm going to build the TBI 350 for now.