Time for a SAS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Why would I buy another vehicle and go through the whole process or replacing everything such as water pumps, power steering pump, intake gaskets, and all other parts that wear down just to save a dollar or two. For the price of a CUCV, I could sas and have a little left over. Plus I already have a lot of the parts needed for the swap. I've built my truck to handle practically anything you throw at it except the front suspension/drivetrain. That'd be like a Baja guy building a vehicle and get 80-90% done, then decide to buy another truck and have a yard ornament. That he worked so hard to make. I'd still have problems out of it since I'm running 37's. And then it'd become a yard ornament since as I said, I rarely drive on the road in it as is. And if I towed it around, my gas mileage would be worse than it already is plus I'd have to buy a trailer just for the other truck.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
Why would I buy another vehicle and go through the whole process or replacing everything such as water pumps, power steering pump, intake gaskets, and all other parts that wear down just to save a dollar or two. For the price of a CUCV, I could sas and have a little left over. Plus I already have a lot of the parts needed for the swap. I've built my truck to handle practically anything you throw at it except the front suspension/drivetrain. That'd be like a Baja guy building a vehicle and get 80-90% done, then decide to buy another truck and have a yard ornament. That he worked so hard to make. I'd still have problems out of it since I'm running 37's. And then it'd become a yard ornament since as I said, I rarely drive on the road in it as is. And if I towed it around, my gas mileage would be worse than it already is plus I'd have to buy a trailer just for the other truck.

WOW!!

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyle, I wish I could sit with you for a few hours and just learn the most I can.

Eh, I'm overrated, ask anybody with a different opinion:crazy:

In reality, it's not worth my time. however, if you want to hire me as a designer.... my salary would be about 80k..... i could use a new job anyway. I'll let you know however, i've not designed alot of front suspensions, just repaired too many of them.

I'm not exactly sure why you'd ask me to come join your crew when from the looks of it you're completely able. i am humbled by the offer though. but would i actually need to move to Cali? or could we meet in the middle, let say.... colorado?

I think we have a disconnect.

I was saying, for the sake of debate, why don't you lay the plan out for me that you suggest is cost comparable, stout and capable enough to be a viable alternative to running a solid axle up front.

I ask because I know what I'd have to run in components to keep up and while the rest of it could pan out, cost does not (and I'm saying, not even close).

Sorry, not trying to take away from anything.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i wouldn't even know where to begin man. i do not do custom fab as i've never really seen its value IMO. i was an S&S monkey for 15 years at a GM dealership and i know what the vehicles are designed for. After seeing all the stupid **** measuring in this particular post when you ask someone why they didn't go a particular route, or why they choose the route they are choosing, it's enough to say **** off and eat a bowl of dick.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Eh, I'm overrated, ask anybody with a different opinion:crazy:

I would beg to differ. The picture of your truck back in the day high on a cliff to the right of the photo was my background for the longest time.

After seeing all the stupid **** measuring in this particular post when you ask someone why they didn't go a particular route, or why they choose the route they are choosing, it's enough to say **** off and eat a bowl of dick.

I guess you're referring to me. And I will end my side of the argument with this. while you say the ifs is better that sfa, I disagree. You have no real basis of your opinion, while MANY MANY other have gone sfa, and would disagree. I do not see how you can say that ifs is a stronger system than a sfa especially since like you said, you have no experience with it besides regular maintanence with ifs. What experience do you have with solid axles? And I'm not sure if you were the one that posted a link to the write up that ifs was better than sfa or not, but one article saying that, versus millions of others saying the opposite, won't sway me to believe it.

And custom fab has value. Not as much monetarily, but even Kyle has proven that custom fab has very many advantages. Even his, saves body panels, and passengers and other parts from harm.

Jason's (RIP) was all tailored to the way he wanted his truck to look, and perform, all the way down to the way the doors were trimmed down. Custom fab has MANY advantages and value.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
I guess you're referring to me. And I will end my side of the argument with this. while you say the ifs is better that sfa, I disagree. You have no real basis of your opinion, while MANY MANY other have gone sfa, and would disagree. I do not see how you can say that ifs is a stronger system than a sfa especially since like you said, you have no experience with it besides regular maintanence with ifs. What experience do you have with solid axles? And I'm not sure if you were the one that posted a link to the write up that ifs was better than sfa or not, but one article saying that, versus millions of others saying the opposite, won't sway me to believe it.

And custom fab has value. Not as much monetarily, but even Kyle has proven that custom fab has very many advantages. Even his, saves body panels, and passengers and other parts from harm.

Jason's (RIP) was all tailored to the way he wanted his truck to look, and perform, all the way down to the way the doors were trimmed down. Custom fab has MANY advantages and value.

You guessed wrong, however your post does support my statment. As far as what experience i have with SFA's... i could list how many years i worked on them in the military, or many many other times i've worked on the SFA GM has produced. however, doing that is just getting in a different contest. I'm not saying SFA is stupid, weak, or a bad idea, i'm saying it's a personal preference, and many people are biased against IFS. i just don't understand it. You are right in saying that one article does not support my argument but the entire industry seems to follow my thinking as well or perhaps i follow theirs.... I say again, SAS is a personal preference that i simply do not understand. Why that urks you is beyond me, but there you have it.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
You guessed wrong, however your post does support my statment. As far as what experience i have with SFA's... i could list how many years i worked on them in the military, or many many other times i've worked on the SFA GM has produced. however, doing that is just getting in a different contest. I'm not saying SFA is stupid, weak, or a bad idea, i'm saying it's a personal preference, and many people are biased against IFS. i just don't understand it. You are right in saying that one article does not support my argument but the entire industry seems to follow my thinking as well or perhaps i follow theirs.... I say again, SAS is a personal preference that i simply do not understand. Why that urks you is beyond me, but there you have it.

I guessed wrong. Your opinion is yours and mine is mine. We'll leave it at that. :cheers: since there isn't a handshake smiley.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't even know where to begin man. i do not do custom fab as i've never really seen its value IMO. i was an S&S monkey for 15 years at a GM dealership and i know what the vehicles are designed for. After seeing all the stupid **** measuring in this particular post when you ask someone why they didn't go a particular route, or why they choose the route they are choosing, it's enough to say **** off and eat a bowl of dick.

Now that's not being very nice.