Thoughts on running dual thrush chambered mufflers 2.5in/out vortec 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking at changing up my exhaust and I'm looking for opinions before I pull the trigger. In the past ive ran a thrush welded chambered muffler on with small block

I want to run 2 of these on my 98 k2500 vortec 454. I'm thinking 2.5" in and out should be plenty right off the 2.75" stock pipes. I want the outlets to exit in front of the rear tire with 2.5" pipes.

Please tell me what you think. I want to hear some thoughts and oppinons. Thanks

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Nice to see someone else in upstate NY! I had a full dual exhaust installed on my 01 Silverado 3 years ago, with Thrush Turbo mufflers, and after 2 years, both mufflers rusted out at the rear seam to the point where they literally separated in two pieces. I've never had a muffler rust out that bad that fast. I ended up just cutting them out and straight piping them. I would suggest something like a Flowmaster, they are a little more money, but in the long run, worth it.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right on. The style muffler I'm talking about is different from the one your referring to. I'm looking at the thrush welded mufflers. I've used them in the past on small blocks and they held up great.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I'm not in the snowbelt/rustbelt in upstate NY [anymore] and ran a pair of the mufflers you're talking about on my Suburban for around 4 years maybe, and both of them rusted out to the point of one of them breaking off at the inlet. The other was not far behind in its deterioration. I couldn't imagine them holding up through many NY winters.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
loud and drone. that's what i think of with that set up.

you can pick up dynomax ultraflows from amazon for about the same money, and they are made out of stainless steel. they will drone less, and be loud when you wood the skinny pedal, but mild at cruise. taking them over the axle and out the sides will get some of the noise away from the cab also. haha, i never thought i would talk about being too "loud". but as i've aged, i like to hold conversations in the cab while driving!

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never noticed drone with them but the tail pipe was exiting out the stock location. I failed to mention that I'm possibly moving south so the road salt won't be an issue.

Perhaps I'll go with the above mentioned dual tail pipes exiting behind the rear tires to prevent drone. I've never had a side dump.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have side exit much like you are referring to on my 454 and I don't think it is too loud for cruising but you can tell it isn't stock. I'm running a borla dual in dual out muffler (2.75" out I think) and headers.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
loud and drone. that's what i think of with that set up.

you can pick up dynomax ultraflows from amazon for about the same money, and they are made out of stainless steel. they will drone less, and be loud when you wood the skinny pedal, but mild at cruise. taking them over the axle and out the sides will get some of the noise away from the cab also. haha, i never thought i would talk about being too "loud". but as i've aged, i like to hold conversations in the cab while driving!

The Thrush 2 chamber (flowmaster 40 knockoffs) I ran droned for maybe the first 400-500 miles, and then completely stopped, leaving only the trademark/signature blub-blub-blub-blub-blub sound that 2 chamber mufflers are known for. They do a very nice job of cancelling out raspy high pitched frequencies. They sounded good, just didn't live very long. Mine were duals with corner exits at the bumper.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have side exit much like you are referring to on my 454 and I don't think it is too loud for cruising but you can tell it isn't stock. I'm running a borla dual in dual out muffler (2.75" out I think) and headers.
What style muffler and what headers? Any sound clips or pics of that setup? Thanks