Thoughts on running dual thrush chambered mufflers 2.5in/out vortec 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
The Thrush 2 chamber (flowmaster 40 knockoffs) I ran droned for maybe the first 400-500 miles, and then completely stopped, leaving only the trademark/signature blub-blub-blub-blub-blub sound that 2 chamber mufflers are known for. They do a very nice job of cancelling out raspy high pitched frequencies. They sounded good, just didn't live very long. Mine were duals with corner exits at the bumper.

good to know, i like the flowmaster sound. i just don't care for it in the cab! i've been very happy with my ultraflows on the last couple of pickups, they have a sound all their own, you get the deep sound of a big glasspack without the pop and crackle.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how about running an H pipe a foot or so before the mufflers? I figure it's the best route to go to balance the exhaust without cutting up the existing exhaust pipe.

Thanks for your input

Reaction score
I am currently running (how I bought the truck...changing soon) a single in/out Flowmaster ko 10 series. It's definitely not how I would have done it. I hollowed out the cats for now due to them strangling the big block. When I get the long tubes and mufflers it'll be true 3" stainless with H pipe and 45'd out the ass end. I have been a loyal Flowmaster customer for years (love the super 44 and super 10) but think I'm gonna give the spintech's a whirl. I like the design, no dead stops when entering and the design of the baffles causing a "scavenge" effect. I always spray a coating on my mufflers as I live in The salt best Midwest. I'm new to the forums but I'll try to post a sound clip of the single 10 series with stock manifolds and hollow cats.
You must be registered for see images attach

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
you want the H closer to the manifolds/headers. the problem with the stock exhaust routing is it puts the H further away from the driver's side than the passenger side. but any balance pipe is better than no balance pipe.

custommetalworks, dual 3" is way overkill for a low rpm big block, you'd have better power down low and in the mid range with dual 2.5" pipes.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well seems like I'll be going deeper into my exhaust. The current cat or cats are starting to blow out. The other day a nice chunk of honeycomb came out of the exhaust.

Would I be alright going with a pair of those thunderbolt cats, 3"in/out? Then going to 2.5" exhaust after that? If I'm gonna be swapping the cats, should be a good opportunity to plump in an h pipe pre cats.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
yes on the thunderbolt cats.

just food for thought...if you're not stuck on dual exhaust a single 3.5" will flow every bit of what you need. it also helps reduce your cost. if you go single the singe route, use a good quality y-merge like the flowmaster unit.

my 6.0l camaro has a single 3" exhaust. it has a cutout before the axle and only picks up 10hp with it open! this is on a 425rwhp car. so that's over 500hp at the crank at a modest 18% drivetrain loss.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm actually considering a catalytic converter delete and using spark plug non foulers. But I wouldn't mind running cats cause I know it will be loud without them

65nightmare

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm actually considering a catalytic converter delete and using spark plug non foulers. But I wouldn't mind running cats cause I know it will be loud without them

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Idk if this will work but here is the sound clip you may need speakers or headphones my phone suck at recording sound.