The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything bigger than about 28" is going to start to get iffy depending on your offset. Oh, and I'm talking tire dia, not wheel.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got a stupid lowered question ha ha.

how low can you go without having to notch the front for the tie rods?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive gone as far as 5, but it depends on how you do it. Spindle and springs with do it easier than arms and springs.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If youre doing spindles and springs you have a little more clearance because part of the drop is achieved without moving the steering arm (2"). You should do the 2" of spring drop and let it settle in before you try to go any farther. Once it all settles out, and you decide you need more, check your clearance (frame to T/R) and decide if youre OK with tapping the frame occasionally. I would get your extra drop by cutting the spring as opposed to going with a 3" drop spring as it makes the spring a bit more stiff and youre starting to run out of room for suspension movement. If you really want to get that llok and do it right so that all the geometry and stuff works correctly, do a stock floor body drop and get it over with.

Muskratt2

Reaction score
I know what you said about a 28" tire size for clearance but what size rim & tire combo looks best to fill in the wheel well on these trucks.
I know a 24" to me just doesn't look right.
18"? I don't want to small but I also don't want some that looks like something to big. Do you'll understand what I'm trying to ask here?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well to me a 22 with a 265/35/22 look's perfect on a lowered or bagged gmt 400, but that is just my opinion, everyone has their own. I like 24's on the 99-06 bodystyle but not the 88-98.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If youre doing spindles and springs you have a little more clearance because part of the drop is achieved without moving the steering arm (2"). You should do the 2" of spring drop and let it settle in before you try to go any farther. Once it all settles out, and you decide you need more, check your clearance (frame to T/R) and decide if youre OK with tapping the frame occasionally. I would get your extra drop by cutting the spring as opposed to going with a 3" drop spring as it makes the spring a bit more stiff and youre starting to run out of room for suspension movement. If you really want to get that llok and do it right so that all the geometry and stuff works correctly, do a stock floor body drop and get it over with.

Im going for the 4/6 drop. then eventually the 5/7. ive got an extra set of springs so I might just cut my stock ones for now. just to achieve some sort of drop temporarily.

im bagging it eventually as well. haha. but funds are kinda low thanks to this past holiday season