The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you need to try a different parts house. I would be awfully surprised if that pulley was truly unavailable. Look it up on RockAuto.

Edit:
Do you have the AIR smog pump, or whatever they call it? I think eBay is your friend on this one. I think the part is GM or ACDELCO 10237275.
Google brings up results from Amazon, ebay, Summit, etc.

Last edited:

aterseraph

Reaction score
Greetings, I have a 1997 1500 5.0. I would like to tow my 18' camping trailer, but the weight is right at the max rated capacity for this motor. The engine is in good running condition, just old. Instead of buying a new truck with a 5.7, it seems it would be cost effective to do a 5.7 engine swap. Suggestions and/or comments? I live in Oregon, lots of BIG mountains to climb pulling a trailer. Thank you in advance.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Greetings, I have a 1997 1500 5.0. I would like to tow my 18' camping trailer, but the weight is right at the max rated capacity for this motor. The engine is in good running condition, just old. Instead of buying a new truck with a 5.7, it seems it would be cost effective to do a 5.7 engine swap. Suggestions and/or comments? I live in Oregon, lots of BIG mountains to climb pulling a trailer. Thank you in advance.
A 5.7 will drop in but honestly I would do a 383 instead. A 383 with a decent cam would really help with your low end torque. I live in Oregon as well so I know your mountains.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this a 2wd or 4wd truck? If it's just a 2wd swapping the rear end gearing might be the best bang for you buck to help tow up the mountains. If it's a 4wd truck you can still swap gears, but the front axle will have to be done as well if you plan on using the 4wd at any point.

aterseraph

Reaction score
Is this a 2wd or 4wd truck? If it's just a 2wd swapping the rear end gearing might be the best bang for you buck to help tow up the mountains. If it's a 4wd truck you can still swap gears, but the front axle will have to be done as well if you plan on using the 4wd at any point.
It's a 4x4 truck. Sorry I missed putting that in...

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. Might be a stupid question, might not. 1992 c1500 2wd with the 5.7L. Truck ran fine till one day wouldnt start. Found just about every igntion part was corroded and bad. Did a good tune up, plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor, ignition coil, and ignition module. Truck fired up and ran like a ***** ape. One thing i noticed is now and only after all this work. My upper radiator hose is hard or harder to compress than before. Im not using antifreeze nor have i noticed excess bubbles in coolant. Any ideas fellas? Is it a time to be thinking bad thoughts? Or rock it.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was the cap and ignition wires arranged properly and in the right order? I presume you have done it right, but heck I still mix up those dang ignition wires. It's automotive spaghetti back there.