The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I'm about to drop in my new, free, 4.3 (blechhh!!!) & 4L60e, into my '98. I have an Escalade cluster in that truck. Love it! But before I get this thing back on the road, I'd like to fix the previous prob that I had with the tach. V8 tach & a 4.3 don't mingle well. Eventually, this truck will get an LS engine, but in the meantime, I'd like to get the tach working properly. Due to the physical prob I have with my right foot being much larger & heavier than the other, I tend to drive by the tach more than the speedo!
So, here's my Q. To get the tach to work with the 4.3, is it just a matter of swapping out the stepper motors? I'd like to be able to go back to the original Escalade stepper when the V8 goes in. Anyone done this? Any tips, tricks, or procedures that I should know about?
Thanks!

AndrewGS

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the impedance ratings are for the speakers in a '99 Suburban LT (8-speaker)? I know the front tweeters are 4-ohm but I'm unsure about the front mid-bass, rear door and rear roof speakers.

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
um... I need a how to for installing an aftermarket stereo and removing the stock one... I did not see a sticky... how does a car forum not have a how to install deck sticky?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
um... I need a how to for installing an aftermarket stereo and removing the stock one... I did not see a sticky... how does a car forum not have a how to install deck sticky?

What year truck are you installing a headunit into? Regardless its very easy in all GMT400's, well be happy to walk you through it!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I'm about to drop in my new, free, 4.3 (blechhh!!!) & 4L60e, into my '98. I have an Escalade cluster in that truck. Love it! But before I get this thing back on the road, I'd like to fix the previous prob that I had with the tach. V8 tach & a 4.3 don't mingle well. Eventually, this truck will get an LS engine, but in the meantime, I'd like to get the tach working properly. Due to the physical prob I have with my right foot being much larger & heavier than the other, I tend to drive by the tach more than the speedo!
So, here's my Q. To get the tach to work with the 4.3, is it just a matter of swapping out the stepper motors? I'd like to be able to go back to the original Escalade stepper when the V8 goes in. Anyone done this? Any tips, tricks, or procedures that I should know about?
Thanks!

Bump!

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mean green, you're a good dude.
I was expecting someone to unload on that guy.
how are you gonna come to a forum and ask a question like that, and then talk .$4!7!!!

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks mean green,

ok so from searching i think there are 2-3 'boxes' for the stock stereo
1 controller by gauges
2 receiver/amplifier box (where in the dash is this/ how do you get it out?)
3 optional cassette/cd player in the center of the dash, where aftermarket units typically go.

how do you remove the panel in the center of the dash where an aftermarket deck is?(dont want to break tabs)

Also where is the ground for the gauge cluster?

there is some fishy wiring a PO did on my truck.

1990 ecsb scottsdale k1500

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks mean green,

ok so from searching i think there are 2-3 'boxes' for the stock stereo
1 controller by gauges
2 receiver/amplifier box (where in the dash is this/ how do you get it out?)
3 optional cassette/cd player in the center of the dash, where aftermarket units typically go.

how do you remove the panel in the center of the dash where an aftermarket deck is?(dont want to break tabs)

Also where is the ground for the gauge cluster?

there is some fishy wiring a PO did on my truck.

1990 ecsb scottsdale k1500

That is correct, the amplifier/brain is above the gas pedal, the headunit is above the HVAC controls and the Equalizer is in the center of the dash.

To remove the center dash bezel where the equalizer is, simply pull up on the bottom edge until the clips slide out. Then pull down to remove the bezel, then un plug the equalizer/cassette player and your good to go. As for the ground, id recommend putting an #10 eyelet on and extend the ground wire from the new headunit and grounding it to a new bare metal ground! If you need help with the wiring, just ask and ill be happy to help walk you through it! Hope this helps bud!

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I has a stupid question. lol. On extended cabs, are the rear speakers that are on the walls by the back seat the main source of voice output? I have those, and two 6 inch speakers under the seat, for some reason my sound seems to have changed after the truck electronics reset.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I has a stupid question. lol. On extended cabs, are the rear speakers that are on the walls by the back seat the main source of voice output? I have those, and two 6 inch speakers under the seat, for some reason my sound seems to have changed after the truck electronics reset.

No. Do you have a factory or aftermarket equalizer? Id check to see if that didn't get faded to rear somehow. You should have pretty much just as much mid and high range coming from the set of of 6" speakers as you do from the 4x6s in the rear pillars if your F to B fade is set at neutral!