The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So correct me if im wrong. But my 96 excab only has 4 speakers, 2 up front in the doors and 2 in the back upper side panels. The doors apear to be 6.5 and the rears look like a 4x6??? Am i right, or am i missing another set of speakers?

Yes, you are correct! The front speakers are component style speakers, and have an external tweeter as well. But the rears are 4X6" and the front speakers are 6.5" IIRC on the 95-98 Trucks!

blownfarmtruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct! The front speakers are component style speakers, and have an external tweeter as well. But the rears are 4X6" and the front speakers are 6.5" IIRC on the 95-98 Trucks!
Thank you for your help! I thought so, but wasnt 100%.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
98 C2500 - How does that wiring harness plug that goes through the passenger side firewall disconnect? I've pulled the little "ears" back and tried pulling it apart but no luck. I'm afraid of tearing the damned thing up, but I can't tell what I'm missing.

wintimidator

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question my windshield wipers sometimes work and sometimes just make a buzzing noise and just sit there. I tried pulling on the blade with them turned on but they still don't move. Sometimes they work just fine though. Has anyone else had this problem? Looked under the hood today to try to find some wiring for the motors with no luck so they are behind the dashboard? Thanks.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess that your circuit board is bad in the wiper motor. This is VERY common on these trucks, but a cheap and easy fix. The wiper motor itself is located to the left of the brake booster on the firewall in the engine bay. You can check voltage at the plug on the wiper motor, but 9 times out of ten its the circuit board not the actual motor! Hope that helps a bit!

sthomasII

Reaction score
hey guys ive got one here...

96 2dr tahoe 5.7 vortec 2wd

prestige remote start paging alarm, when the alarm is armed the doors lock and visa-versa when disarmed but the doors will not lock/unlock from the buttons inside the truck, now im not sure but i think this may have something to do with the re hatch switch as well as it does not work either.

next is the cig lighter and power ports,i got the cig lighter to work by replacing the blown fuse but i still cannot get power from the the 2 power ports.....havent gone beyond the fuse yet just wondering where to start with it.

T.I.A

steven

sthomasII

Reaction score
well it looks like i got my lock issues dealt with,
the re. hatch had a wire attached to it for the alarm and it clipped the the switch via a snap on connector which im assuming was too small so it cut it in half. annnnd still no workie so back to the fuse panel and sure enough the fuse i just put in popped new fuse in and now everything works perfect!

heavychevy98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my factory radio in my 98 says "err" when you try to put a cd in. any way to fix this? btw its one unit not a divorced cd player.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my factory radio in my 98 says "err" when you try to put a cd in. any way to fix this? btw its one unit not a divorced cd player.

Is at a store bought CD or a "Burned" CD? Some of the older factory CD players have trouble reading burnt cd's, try playing a store bought CD and see if that will play without giving the error message!