The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
The head unit is aftermarket. Position is set to all. Balance and fader set to center.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Fixed it. One of the settings were set to subout when it was supposed to be rearout. I don't have subs yet.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Anyone know of any way to hook up an amp and subs to the stock head unit?

I have absolutely no desire to upgrade the head unit in my truck, but I have some subs laying around....

Ideas....?

ChevyLogan

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever bypassed the headlamp switch and gone with all toggles for the headlamps and park lamps, and how to go about doing it in a 1990 gmc k1500

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever bypassed the headlamp switch and gone with all toggles for the headlamps and park lamps, and how to go about doing it in a 1990 gmc k1500

why?

toggles are not rated for the amp draw of the headlights, you will need relays

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

As Ken said above, why would you want to use toggle switches instead of the OE Headlight switch? Your headlight switch controls more then JUST the headlights, so it's not as simple as hooking up a few wires to a few toggle switches. Generally your standard SP/ST toggle switch has a load rating of 15 amps, your headlights draw MUCH more then 15 amps.

If you had a HD Headlight Harness or another set up that utilized relays, then you could have a toggle control them if you really wanted to; being it takes very little amperage to trigger a relay, and you can do so safely with the switch of your choice being it is not handling a high amp load.

In short I would strongly recommend to NOT install toggle switches in place of the OE headlight switch WITHOUT the use of relays powering the headlights.

ChevyLogan

Reaction score
I didn't realize ppl on this fourm were so scared of relay's I know that I have to use relays for the headlamps I was just wondering if anyone has done it and if there were any tricks to doing it!!

blownfarmtruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So correct me if im wrong. But my 96 excab only has 4 speakers, 2 up front in the doors and 2 in the back upper side panels. The doors apear to be 6.5 and the rears look like a 4x6??? Am i right, or am i missing another set of speakers?