The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well if that module also controls the locks (and it looks like it probably does) then you will probably lose them when you unplug.. personally I'd just unplug it and test what works and what doesn't. You can't hurt anything by doing so surely.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if that module also controls the locks (and it looks like it probably does) then you will probably lose them when you unplug.. personally I'd just unplug it and test what works and what doesn't. You can't hurt anything by doing so surely.
Ok I'll play with it. This truck came with factory remote. It's wierd how the alarm interferes with that... I thought it would of just tapped off the door locks or remote module. Thanks for your help

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
With OEM accessories like that, they're more likely to design a setup that goes in-between, instead of tapping into, functions like the door locks, horn, etc. I haven't personally removed an OEM accessory alarm, but I'll bet they either used jumper harnesses or simply put the components between the original harness connections. Very unlikely you'll find taps or splices on the install.

Richard

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With OEM accessories like that, they're more likely to design a setup that goes in-between, instead of tapping into, functions like the door locks, horn, etc. I haven't personally removed an OEM accessory alarm, but I'll bet they either used jumper harnesses or simply put the components between the original harness connections. Very unlikely you'll find taps or splices on the install.

Richard
Guess I'll find out lol. Not looking forward to the birds nest of wires.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So if I just unplugged the module completely. I just need to hook up the starter wires together? There's also 2 fuses under the dash . One of them killed everything and I didn't have working door locks nor remote. I can remember the color. I'm not sure about the second fuse
Interesting that you're having issues with your Burb, cause guess who won't start this afternoon?! Had no issues other than a slightly longer crank time yesterday (but it was cold). And thankfully no issues on the swap meet trip. All signs point to the stupid battery....now if I could get it started, we could go to Sam's Club and make them make it good....

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting that you're having issues with your Burb, cause guess who won't start this afternoon?! Had no issues other than a slightly longer crank time yesterday (but it was cold). And thankfully no issues on the swap meet trip. All signs point to the stupid battery....now if I could get it started, we could go to Sam's Club and make them make it good....
I got lucky too. I was at work. No start. Jumped truck with battery box (must have) and soon as it started went straight to oreilly. They went ahead and warranted the battery but the guy said it passed the battery test. Thats why I'm thinking it's a parasitic draw. So if I keep having issues I'm gonna remove this alarm...

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Update: paid the shuttle driver at the park to take me out to where the Burb is parked (in front of my shop building, about 10 miles away). Then I took the Burb battery out, came back to Rawhide, and swapped them out. Rawhide fired right up, so I'm thinking this battery is toast.
The power locks still don't work with the switch...but the alarm locks the truck when it's triggered by unhooking the battery. And it did that!
So... I'm thinking the door lock switches in the front doors are bad.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update: paid the shuttle driver at the park to take me out to where the Burb is parked (in front of my shop building, about 10 miles away). Then I took the Burb battery out, came back to Rawhide, and swapped them out. Rawhide fired right up, so I'm thinking this battery is toast.
The power locks still don't work with the switch...but the alarm locks the truck when it's triggered by unhooking the battery. And it did that!
Factory alarm?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Factory alarm?
No it's an aftermarket one. Chapman. Ideally I would delete the alarm, but keep the kill switch. I don't want to get into hacking up a wiring harness unless absolutely necessary though! The Burb has factory keyless entry and had an aftermarket alarm, but the remains of that were removed when my cousin changed the multi function switch, and the next year when I was having trouble with the Passlock.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of these, you simply pull a fuse and push the end in place and it will show you how much current is being drawn through that circuit even with the key off, it's good for finding that parasitic draw that drains batteries when not used for a while.
You must be registered for see images attach