The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where in the glove box are these codes? Just bought a 96 tahoe, and would like to know the axle ratio.. Thx. Also, what upgrades would you make to a stock setup out back?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Where in the glove box are these codes? Just bought a 96 tahoe, and would like to know the axle ratio.. Thx. Also, what upgrades would you make to a stock setup out back?

Theyre right inside the glove box and a 14 bolt

Mississippi

I have gas...in my truck
Reaction score
What's the spline count on the k1500 cv outer axle and the k3500

Mississippi

I have gas...in my truck
Reaction score
Better yet, whats the axle thickness. The part that goes through the hub itself

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, bought a 14 bolt sf a couple weeks back and figured I'd put new bearings and seals it in while I was at it but I'm seeing two different kinds of bearings, the cylindercal And the taper kind, which ones do I need for the end of the axle shafts right next to the oil seals? Thanks

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
Hey guys, bought a 14 bolt sf a couple weeks back and figured I'd put new bearings and seals it in while I was at it but I'm seeing two different kinds of bearings, the cylindercal And the taper kind, which ones do I need for the end of the axle shafts right next to the oil seals? Thanks

If its a sf axle it will have the cylindrical bearings. The tapered bearings would be for a full float axle.

sent from android mobile

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If its a sf axle it will have the cylindrical bearings. The tapered bearings would be for a full float axle.

sent from android mobile

Sounds good, never done a bearing job so I figured is ask lol, love your truck by the way,

aj.goff33

Reaction score
Quick question to anyone with experience with this problem. When I turn my wheel and start to move the truck (either direction) there is a loud 'clunk' sound that feels like it is once a revolution. I am thinking it is a cv axle going bad or already bad. Just need some advise from anyone who has experienced this before.

1996 k1500 5.7