The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If it's "welded" the carrier is junk, you will need a new carrier. The ring and pinion will be quite fine. When you 'weld' the sidegears to the carrier, it's basically junk afterwards for anything other than mud / soft ground.

ChevyDave

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know what I have. I'm wondering what my brothers jeep is. I heard something about jacking up the whole back/front and then spin one tire and if the other one doesn't move it's limited slip, if the other one spins in the opposite direction than it's open diff. I don't know about posi though. Guess I'll have to jack up my dads jeep and see what happens lol.

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Here's my stupid question, I'm looking to get a set of military surplus rims soon for my truck I know that they are wide and I really don't want to run spacers so I was going to do a dually conversion to it, are the fronts just adapters and the rear a complete axle or adapters also?

blazin8556

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the 85 c20 C&C axle different than a 85 pickup. and if i were to put it in my 98 z71 i know i would have to move mounts and do what else. i can't seem to find some of the threads i once saw on this.

GMCNuneZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys a little help so I picked up a ford dana 60 hp front axle for my soon to be SAS the guy also gave me a 1986 ford sterling rear axle and after getting it home I notice the spring perches are about 44" and my springs on my truck now are 46" (correct me if I'm wrong) on my 14 bolt semi float 6 lug. The guy also has a dana 60 so would it be better to get the dana 60 or cut the perches off the sterling and weld on some new ones at the correct width to my truck?