The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LEGO

Reaction score
Okay, so this is my first post and I have a really basic/stupid question. My son has a lifted '89 4x4, we bought it last summer. A few days ago, he came home from school and said the front end was messed up. We went to have it towed to a garage, and the tow driver said the front axle was broken.
My question: how do I tell if/where it is broken? I don't know a lot about axles. My son was able to drive it home? What do I look for to check if it is really broken?
Bonus question: Can I fix this myself?

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wondering if it is a good price I found a 14 bolt rear with 373 gears for 130 dollars. But it has welded gears. Would this be worth it and would welded gear affect me that much for daily driving

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welded gears will be welcomed in the mud and offroad, but for a daily driver I would pass.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Buy it!!! Then bring it to me ill give ya 250 haha

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

92C1500

Reaction score
Heres my stupid question, what all do i need to swap my 454ss rear end in my truck. I read a different conversion thread on here but it was a 3/4 ton rear end. The one i have is a 14 bolt 5 lug half ton out of a 454ss. 3.73 ratio. Tge othet thtead said conversion u joint, u bolt plates, u bolts, yolk straps, and shocks. My shocks are relatively new, i dont need to change because its not getting lifted or lowered if im using the leafs already there right? Let me know if im missing anything else.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Heres my stupid question, what all do i need to swap my 454ss rear end in my truck. I read a different conversion thread on here but it was a 3/4 ton rear end. The one i have is a 14 bolt 5 lug half ton out of a 454ss. 3.73 ratio. Tge othet thtead said conversion u joint, u bolt plates, u bolts, yolk straps, and shocks. My shocks are relatively new, i dont need to change because its not getting lifted or lowered if im using the leafs already there right? Let me know if im missing anything else.

Im guessing you read my thread i just needed longer shocks cuz of he lift so you shoild need all that except the longer shocks

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How hard would it be to swap the gears on the 14 bolt since they r welded. And how much would it cost and what parts needed. Sorry kinda a newb on axles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Im not sure on cost but it wouldnt be any harder that switching gears that arnt welded