The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: a comment from facebook informed me that I may have an 8 lug axle, which is also narrower the 6 lug, this is something i did not consider. i was almost certain this came from a 6 lug though

I feel I have been bamboozled. When I went junkyard searching for a 14b SF axle, I knew one of the most important things was I needed to get it from a 4x4. the truck I pulled it from was a 99 k2500, I verified it was 4x4 due to the fact it had a 9.25 front diff which I had contemplated taking as well until I found out it is not a direct bolt in swap. It was just the axle housing so I need to buy new axle shafts, the yukon shafts below is what I bought ( I would not buy from them at those prices, way cheaper elsewhere online).

they finally arrived the other day and when I went to test fit things together, the axle shaft bearing surface was poking out past the seal quite a bit at least 2 inches it seemed. I knew something was up, I tried referencing videos an pictures on the web and found nothing that looked like this. I mocked up the disk drum and it was at least an inch away from the backing plate.

I measured spring perch distance, it was about 47", about the same distance on my 4x4 tahoe. tip to tip of the 14 bolt axle I have is roughly 63", hard to get accurate measurement with the backing plate on one side. one side of my brain is telling me you have a 4x2 axle and those are 4x4 shafts, the other side is telling me I know I got this out of a 4x4 truck something is wrong about the axles.

Either way its going to be a mistake that is going to cost several hundred dollars to fix. hoping its the axles as that is just money vs the time and money of finding a new housing, getting it blasted and coated and buying a new bearings and races( not sure if they should be reused once that have been pushed in even though they are new

I did find this axle when i searched replacement parts for 99-00 carryover model, this is clearly labeled for a c2500 though. If this shaft does fit and I do indeed have a 4x2 axle, would a wider rear wheel and tire make up for the shorter axle width
009Shaft, r/axl(6 lug)C2 **9.50 RING GEAR SAGINAW-AMERICAN**,7200 LB GVWR(C5Z),VACUUM PWR BRK SYS(JB6),HYD PWR DISC/DRUM BRK(JD6)0215522068--

and on a final note, it looks like I will either have 2 brand new axle shafts for sale or a fully prepped 4x2 axle housing for sale, has new bearings, seals, races, new vent stem, and blasted and powder coated

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have an 8 lug axle, which is also narrower the 6 lug, this is something i did not consider. i was almost certain this came from a 6 lug though...
...When I went junkyard searching for a 14b SF axle, I knew one of the most important things was I needed to get it from a 4x4. the truck I pulled it from was a 99 k2500, I verified it was 4x4 due to the fact it had a 9.25 front diff
I would not expect a 6-lug truck to have the 9.25 differential. That sounds more like an 8-lug truck.

Can you go back to that Treasure Yard and look at the front hubs, or the SPID decal in the glovebox to verify lug count, option codes, and/or GVWR?

It was just the axle housing so I need to buy new axle shafts, the yukon shafts below is what I bought...

...they finally arrived the other day and when I went to test fit things together, the axle shaft bearing surface was poking out past the seal quite a bit at least 2 inches it seemed.
Did the axle shaft slide fully into the differential side-gears?

I mocked up the disk drum and it was at least an inch away from the backing plate.
I don't know what "disk drum" is.

tip to tip of the 14 bolt axle I have is roughly 63", hard to get accurate measurement with the backing plate on one side. one side of my brain is telling me you have a 4x2 axle and those are 4x4 shafts, the other side is telling me I know I got this out of a 4x4 truck something is wrong about the axles.
I don't know about the width difference between 6-lug axles and 8-lug axles within the 9.5" ring-gear axle family.

Somebody here probably does, and I can measure a spare 9.5 6-lug 4x4 axle tomorrow.

Either way its going to be a mistake that is going to cost several hundred dollars to fix. hoping its the axles as that is just money vs the time and money of finding a new housing, getting it blasted and coated and buying a new bearings and races( not sure if they should be reused once that have been pushed in even though they are new
I would not expect to re-use axle bearings once they've been pushed into an axle housing. I think you'd damage them getting 'em back out. But then, I've never tried to re-use them. I guess if they go in without damage, they could--maybe--come back out without damage.

I did find this axle when i searched replacement parts for 99-00 carryover model, this is clearly labeled for a c2500 though. If this shaft does fit and I do indeed have a 4x2 axle, would a wider rear wheel and tire make up for the shorter axle width
No.

Not sure why fitment of that axle shaft is limited to '88--'91.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not expect a 6-lug truck to have the 9.25 differential. That sounds more like an 8-lug truck.

Can you go back to that Treasure Yard and look at the front hubs, or the SPID decal in the glovebox to verify lug count, option codes, and/or GVWR?

Did the axle shaft slide fully into the differential side-gears?

I don't know what "disk drum" is.

I don't know about the width difference between 6-lug axles and 8-lug axles within the 9.5" ring-gear axle family.

Somebody here probably does, and I can measure a spare 9.5 6-lug 4x4 axle tomorrow.

I would not expect to re-use axle bearings once they've been pushed into an axle housing. I think you'd damage them getting 'em back out. But then, I've never tried to re-use them. I guess if they go in without damage, they could--maybe--come back out without damage.

No.

Not sure why fitment of that axle shaft is limited to '88--'91.
I was operating under the assumption that the 6 and 8 4wd axles were the same, everyone only ever talks about the 2wd drive being shorter.

I have since been back, its long gone

The axle shaft slide al the way past the center line into the other side

I miss spoke, i meant disk rotor, i was mocking up the gmt800 calipers and rotor

Neither did i, but now i think it appears that 8 lug 4wd and 2wd are the same, just based on the shaft length given on available parts in the k2500 and c2500 section

They are cheap, I’ve decided ill just get new races and axle bearings, no point in taking them out

That axle is discontinued, but interesting ebough, its only an 1/8 inch short on each side from fitting, it would have worked with a small spacer

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an assembled 14b handy if you need any measurements from it.

You must be registered for see images attach

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont be like me, be able to spot the difference, this measurement is the only really obvious difference in the semi float axles

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So what is the best fluid to run in a 14 bolt, 9.5" G80? I see some people running multi viscosity while others run single.

Thoughts?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got it thanks Schurkey. What would you say is second best? $30 is a bit on the high side for me.
It's a little steep but wouldn't you rather have the correct stuff in there and protect that good ol' 9.5? In the long run it's not that expensive, and it's not like you're changing it all the time.

Richard

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a little steep but wouldn't you rather have the correct stuff in there and protect that good ol' 9.5? In the long run it's not that expensive, and it's not like you're changing it all the time.

Richard
You make a good point. If you guys think it's really that much better, I'll go with that.