The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Parts house says m14 so I guess that's it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230921_171443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230921_171443_Chrome.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would these work? I'm guessing 14x1.5 is the same as m14

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230921_171730_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230921_171730_eBay.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 2

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Would these work? I'm guessing 14x1.5 is the same as m14
Correct, M14 just means metric, 14mm. 1.5mm is the thread pitch. That's the wheel stud dimensions.

The lug nut you pictured is what most refer to as a "mag" lug nut, that's for an aftermarket wheel that has a large round lug hole that the lug nut passes through. They're not commonly used on most GMT400 trucks. Typical arrangement is a conical seat lug nut. Wheel design dictates what style lug you use; wheel stud dimensions dictate what size and thread.

Richard

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, M14 just means metric, 14mm. 1.5mm is the thread pitch. That's the wheel stud dimensions.

The lug nut you pictured is what most refer to as a "mag" lug nut, that's for an aftermarket wheel that has a large round lug hole that the lug nut passes through. They're not commonly used on most GMT400 trucks. Typical arrangement is a conical seat lug nut. Wheel design dictates what style lug you use; wheel stud dimensions dictate what size and thread.

Richard
I have aftermarket race star wheels. That's what I want the locks for.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any recommendations for an inexpensive rear locker for my 97 K1500?

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sillyest question. How can I identify my rear axle? I ll want to go for an Eaton posi and I don't know what I drive..
Gmc Sierra 4wd K1500 1989

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FIRST, count the bolts holding the rear cover on.

10 bolts = craptastic 8.5" ring-gear axle assembly, which might have 28-spline axle shafts or it might have 30-spline axle shafts, and you'll need to know before ordering a replacement differential. The only way to know for sure is to remove an axle shaft and count/measure them. The 8.5" is BY FAR the most-common axle assembly used under GMT400 half-ton trucks.

14 bolts = either the 9.5" ring-gear axle, or the 10.5" ring-gear axle. The 9.5" is semi-floating, the 10.5" is full-floating, with the bigass hub sticking out past the wheel, the hub has 8 bolts easily visible holding the axle shaft to the hub.

Realistically, a half-ton is most-likely going to have the 8.5" ten-bolt, MAYBE it's got the 9.5" semi-float 14-bolt. It wouldn't have a 10.5 unless someone swapped it in.

There are additional axles used on GMT400s beyond the 8.5, 9.5, and 10.5, but they're rare and absolutely not available on a half-ton.

If this were me, I would not put money into an aftermarket differential for an 8.5" axle. Upgrade to the 9.5" axle, and THEN put some money into it.

Last edited:

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
FIRST, count the bolts holding the rear cover on.

10 bolts = craptastic 8.5" ring-gear axle assembly, which might have 28-spline axle shafts or it might have 30-spline axle shafts, and you'll need to know before ordering a replacement differential. The only way to know for sure is to remove an axle shaft and count/measure them. The 8.5" is BY FAR the most-common axle assembly used under GMT400 half-ton trucks.

14 bolts = either the 9.5" ring-gear axle, or the 10.5" ring-gear axle. The 9.5" is semi-floating, the 10.5" is full-floating, with the bigass hub sticking out past the wheel, the hub has 8 bolts easily visible holding the axle shaft to the hub.

Realistically, a half-ton is most-likely going to have the 8.5" ten-bolt, MAYBE it's got the 9.5" semi-float 14-bolt. It wouldn't have a 10.5 unless someone swapped it in.

There are additional axles used on GMT400s beyond the 8.5, 9.5, and 10.5, but they're rare and absolutely not available on a half-ton.

If this were me, I would not put money into an aftermarket differential for an 8.5" axle. Upgrade to the 9.5" axle, and THEN put some money into it.
I come from the dana 35 world, so any axle out of the 35 is strong for me
I use the truck as a street vehicle, I would like to have a limited slip because my daily roads are full of strict turns and I often feel a lose of traction while driving.
And, here in Italy, I am afraid I don't know where to find a more affordable rear set up :(

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I come from the dana 35 world, so any axle out of the 35 is strong for me
10.5" ring gear is approximately equal to a Dana 70 or 80.
9.5" ring gear is approximately equal to a Dana 60.
8.5" ring gear is approximately equal to a Dana 40 until the differential case shatters. Both the 8.5 open, and 8.5 G80 Gov-Lock differential cases explode.

I use the truck as a street vehicle, I would like to have a limited slip because my daily roads are full of strict turns and I often feel a lose of traction while driving.
Lots of tight turns? Sure you don't want an open differential and better tires? If the differential locks-up from the rotational speed difference going around corners, it'll promote loss of traction making things worse, not better.

And, here in Italy, I am afraid I don't know where to find a more affordable rear set up :(
I keep forgetting that you're a long way away from American Treasure Yards.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say that a 10-bolt is strong enough for European driving. Y'all aren't near as harsh on your drivetrains as we are.