The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oakr11

Reaction score
its like that but its in the axle itself, it isnt an auxiliary trans... was his rear axle 10lug?
Many medium duty trucks had two speed rear axles (I have two in my back yard). You had a button on the gear shift that when operated would cause the rear axle to shift to a higher or lower rear end gear ratio. Early models used engine vacuum, newer ones used 12 volts DC.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Many medium duty trucks had two speed rear axles (I have two in my back yard). You had a button on the gear shift that when operated would cause the rear axle to shift to a higher or lower rear end gear ratio. Early models used engine vacuum, newer ones used 12 volts DC.
LOL.. the quote you're responding to is 14 years old. No way I'm going back and reading all of the early parts of this entire thread but I'll throw a guess out that the mystery is the guy was talking about a Gear Vendors unit.

Richard

cjpenny89

Reaction score
I need to replace my rear axle on my 95 Z71, It is a GU6 3.42. My question is are the 4x4 rear axles and the 4x2 rear axles the same? I would think they are but I am being told they are not. I don't want to buy something I can't use. if they are different what is the difference?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my rear axle on my 95 Z71, It is a GU6 3.42. My question is are the 4x4 rear axles and the 4x2 rear axles the same? I would think they are but I am being told they are not. I don't want to buy something I can't use. if they are different what is the difference?
I would say they are not. They are dimensionally different axles. Always an easy way to verify any question like this. Go to RockAuto(example), look up an axle for a 2x4 and then a 4x4 for your year truck. That will give the answer for yourself. I typically verify on another site as well or confirm part numbers on gmpartsgiant.com with my VIN entered.

Last edited:

cjpenny89

Reaction score
I would say they are not. They are dimensionally different axles. Always an easy way to verify any question like this. Go to RockAuto(example), look up an axle for a 2x4 and then a 4x4 for your year truck. That will give the answer for yourself. I typically verify on another site as well or confirm part numbers on gmpartsgiant.com with my VIN entered.
thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
if they are different what is the difference?

Track width is the biggest one I'm aware of. The 4WD axles are about 3" wider than the 2WD, measured from one wheel mounting surface to the other.

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, here’s an embarrassingly stupid question.

I want to do the easy version of the axle swap.

When searching junk yards, what am I looking for?

Suburban and Silverado 4x4 2500’s? All of those I’ve seen have the 8 lug. Is that just because the 6 lug is rare?

Or do I need to do be searching for something else? Should I be looking for 1500’s that happen to have a 14 bolt?

Trying to figure out how to search car-part.com and see if I can locate one.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, here’s an embarrassingly stupid question.

I want to do the easy version of the axle swap.

When searching junk yards, what am I looking for?

Suburban and Silverado 4x4 2500’s? All of those I’ve seen have the 8 lug. Is that just because the 6 lug is rare?

Or do I need to do be searching for something else? Should I be looking for 1500’s that happen to have a 14 bolt?
No way to know without knowing what truck you have.

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way to know without knowing what truck you have.
I have a 99 2Door Tahoe 4x4, sorry figured I was kinda implying what I needed by saying I wanted a 14 bolt 6 lug 4x4.

I am trying to figure out how to narrow down my searches on sites like car-part.com or when I go to local yards.

Pardon my ignorance, this is new territory for me.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 2Door Tahoe 4x4, sorry figured I was kinda implying what I needed by saying I wanted a 14 bolt 6 lug 4x4.

I am trying to figure out how to narrow down my searches on sites like car-part.com or when I go to local yards.

Pardon my ignorance, this is new territory for me.
So you want to install a 14b 9.5? Look for any Light Duty 2500 or 1500 with F44 RPO. On car-part enter either a 1500 or 2500 any year and it will give you choices on which specific axle your looking for. Pick whichever gear ratio, 6 lug, 4x4 9.5 ring gear.