The 'Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LMAO! Grilled, stuffed steak burrito! Meal on wheels, bub!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time for the things-went-to-**** update...

As I posted in a couple of other threads, I finally found the major leak in my AC system. The compressor is leaking at the seals where the housing is put together, like they all do. I had bought a new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, PAG oil, the whole nine yards to fix the system, and then found that one of my service fittings was leaking. This was in the fall of last year, so I returned the parts and put off changing the fittings and charging the system till this spring. Of course, that was a dumbass mistake, and here I am.

To add insult to injury, I was towing a trailer last weekend and had my 3/4 clutch fail ten miles from home. I was coming back from my grandma's where I was supposed to pick up some brick and outdoorsy stuff, but didn't because all of it had been taken. The thing had never so much as hiccuped on me or given any hint of slippage or imminent failure, and all of a sudden the rpm's skyrocket and she stops pulling. My first thought was that I had a fluid leak, but I checked the level and it was right on the money. Took a whiff, and caught the first hint of BURNT. The fluid looked fine in every other respect, just smelled like it had gotten hot. I rolled home doing 35 in second gear...

After some deliberation, the wife and I decided (I begged, she caved :kiss::kiss::kiss:) that we should fix the Burb and make her better, stronger, and faster than before. First up is a trans rebuild (either by me or a local guy that I need to call) with much stouter parts, a slightly higher stall converter, and a MUCH larger tranny cooler :evillol:. To accompany the stouter tranny, I'll be getting a BB canned tune to knock out torque management, the speed limiter, the downstream O2's, and to optimize it for 93 octane. To slow her down after my insanity and right foot get the better of me, a hydroboost swap with 1 ton calipers, SS lines, and EBC pads, as well as a rebuild of the rear drums. And to top it all off, a rebuild of the AC system so that I'll have cold air again :flamingdevil:.

And, Keith, if you still have the smoothie bumpers I'm going to buy those too. Should be a blast!

If I end up building the trans myself, I'll be sure to document all the FAIL, I mean progress in this thread. Time frame should be in the next month or two, but you all know how that goes...

Stay tuned!

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
Time for the things-went-to-**** update...

As I posted in a couple of other threads, I finally found the major leak in my AC system. The compressor is leaking at the seals where the housing is put together, like they all do. I had bought a new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, PAG oil, the whole nine yards to fix the system, and then found that one of my service fittings was leaking. This was in the fall of last year, so I returned the parts and put off changing the fittings and charging the system till this spring. Of course, that was a dumbass mistake, and here I am.

To add insult to injury, I was towing a trailer last weekend and had my 3/4 clutch fail ten miles from home. I was coming back from my grandma's where I was supposed to pick up some brick and outdoorsy stuff, but didn't because all of it had been taken. The thing had never so much as hiccuped on me or given any hint of slippage or imminent failure, and all of a sudden the rpm's skyrocket and she stops pulling. My first thought was that I had a fluid leak, but I checked the level and it was right on the money. Took a whiff, and caught the first hint of BURNT. The fluid looked fine in every other respect, just smelled like it had gotten hot. I rolled home doing 35 in second gear...

After some deliberation, the wife and I decided (I begged, she caved :kiss::kiss::kiss:) that we should fix the Burb and make her better, stronger, and faster than before. First up is a trans rebuild (either by me or a local guy that I need to call) with much stouter parts, a slightly higher stall converter, and a MUCH larger tranny cooler :evillol:. To accompany the stouter tranny, I'll be getting a BB canned tune to knock out torque management, the speed limiter, the downstream O2's, and to optimize it for 93 octane. To slow her down after my insanity and right foot get the better of me, a hydroboost swap with 1 ton calipers, SS lines, and EBC pads, as well as a rebuild of the rear drums. And to top it all off, a rebuild of the AC system so that I'll have cold air again :flamingdevil:.

And, Keith, if you still have the smoothie bumpers I'm going to buy those too. Should be a blast!

If I end up building the trans myself, I'll be sure to document all the FAIL, I mean progress in this thread. Time frame should be in the next month or two, but you all know how that goes...

Stay tuned!

dang you can rebuild a trans , hats off sir!! Ill let you know when I finally get around to pulling the bumpers off (still gotta get the new ones painted).

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dang you can rebuild a trans , hats off sir!! Ill let you know when I finally get around to pulling the bumpers off (still gotta get the new ones painted).

I've never done it before, but I figured there's no time like the present. I hate letting anybody else touch anything on my truck, so if I can rebuild it myself, I will.

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
I've never done it before, but I figured there's no time like the present. I hate letting anybody else touch anything on my truck, so if I can rebuild it myself, I will.

well good luck! If you come accross a 700r4 in your tranmission odessey let me know please, my 1 ton is begging for some overdrive