The 'Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
Burbdate, June 5, 2012:

Progress is nonexistent, much to my chagrin. The gubment decided that I really don't have a 2 year old daughter and so I don't really qualify for EIC on her. But being as I really do have a 2 year old daughter and she really does eat my food, sleep under my roof, and cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I told them that they were full of it and sent further proof of her existence. They should get their **** straight shortly and send me the other couple thousand dollars they owe me. At that juncture work shall commence, but not before. Such is life, eh?

haha gnashing of the teeth FTW\

seriously man , that sucks but at least you got it sorted.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry for you troubles, I think a lot of us have been there from time to time and can definitly relate!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burbdate: April 14, 2013...

After a year of driving around with only first, second, and reverse I finally found the time and money to make some much needed tranny repairs. Since my last update we bought a house, moved, and got my '85 SWB moved into its new home in the third bay of my garage. We finally got all the boxes and moving crap out of the main bay, which allowed me to pull the Burb in and get to work:

You must be registered for see images attach

Tranny was out in about two hours, then loaded into the back of my temporary transportation until I can deliver it to the builder on Monday:

I had originally wanted to build it myself, but a 4L60E is a far more complex beast than I gave it credit for. Being my daily, I wanted it done right the first time, so figured I would get a competent builder to handle the task.

I said before that I wanted to beef up the 60E to handle the LQ4 that I want to put in front of it, and I chose my parts with that in mind. I went with a TruTech Ultimate Towing kit for the rebuild, which uses Raybestos Blue Plate and GPZ105 clutches, along with Kolene steels in the direct drum. I bought a new ACDelco reverse/input drum to accommodate the wider band in the kit, and a Beast reaction shell to replace the failure prone stocker. I had considered the ACD 5 pinion planetary kit, but decided that was too much money for the benefits i would see at my power level:

To top it off I bought a mild 2200 - 2600 stall converter from RevMax. Have several friends and acquaintances running them to good effect in 10 and 11 second cars, so I figured that they would be a good choice over a stock unit:

I'll also be pulling and exchanging my radiator for a new one (under warranty) so as to have a clean tranny cooler. I'm replacing the stock auxiliary cooler with either a Hayden or Derale unit, but haven't decided which. I found my tranny mount to be in less than great shape, so I may go with a urethane replacement. All in all, a good week for the old girl.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will, once I have the cash to get started. It needs tires, brakes, a trans rebuild, shocks, and a few electrical items, and that's what I know of without driving it! The paint is totally shot, but the body is in good shape, and I have a full history on it as I'm only the second owner ;-).

The Burb still needs a water pump, AC compressor, brake booster, master cylinder, a new axle shaft, and circuit boards for the tails... a long row to hoe yet.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since it needs a booster...great excuse to convert to hydraboost.

Yeah, if it weren't for the cost of the booster and having to source a pedal assembly and such I would, but I have a lot of stuff to fix, so stock replacement will be the way to go right now. Bought my trans cooler yesterday. Ended up picking a B&M 28k unit from Jegs. Will be doing an install write up for using the factory mount and lines with this unit soon.

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
Very cool man , glad you are starting to make progress. I finally got back into the states about two weeks ago. You should come by if you get some time and catch up.

Keith

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received my new trans cooler in the mail today. Went ahead and installed it, and posted a write up in the transmission section. It was really nice being able to put a cooler with twice the cooling capacity in place of the stock unit with very little modification.

Very cool man , glad you are starting to make progress. I finally got back into the states about two weeks ago. You should come by if you get some time and catch up.

Keith

Will do man! Glad you made it back in one piece! You're still in the same place, I take it?

96twodoor

Dark side of the moon
Reaction score
Received my new trans cooler in the mail today. Went ahead and installed it, and posted a write up in the transmission section. It was really nice being able to put a cooler with twice the cooling capacity in place of the stock unit with very little modification.

Will do man! Glad you made it back in one piece! You're still in the same place, I take it?

Yes sir I am, I'll be out of town next week but after that I should be around for awhile.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2