Swamp Hound's 1997 Yukon Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for following up on the headers man, I appreciate it!

Sent while drivi-

No worries man! had to put the rest of the exhaust on hold briefly, bank account magically went dry the other day, and havnt had any time to work on it lately, just starting a new job this week and have all my tools packed up and ready to move to the new shop, kind of a hassle to unpack stuff while its all in the box when she's locked up. Will definitely update you to see what the headers sound like without a cat! Can't wait!

Cheers!

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Haven't had much going on with the truck, aside from getting it stuck for 3 days and driving it some. My dad is gonna give me his set of brand new 33" BFG A/Ts so he can go to a street tire. Only problem is I need a set of 17" rims for the tires. Thinking about raceline assaults. Kinda wanna break the mold and go with something besides a moto metal or XD series. Y'all got any thoughts? Post any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
Luke

Sent while drivi-

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Got some 2" wheel spacers last week and got em installed. Totally changed the look of the truck, and gave it some stance. Gotta say I love seeing my A/Ts rolling every time I check my mirrors, and I guess I'm not the only one. Been turning a lot of heads lately when ever I'm out and about.

Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:

That shows the smoked turn signal as well.
Took her to the shop today to find out what the issues were with my front end. Unfortunately, there are several. To start, the ball joints and UCA bushings are shot. The uppers may as well not even be there. That's what was causing the rubbing issue. Also, it appears the PO has throw me one more curve ball, in that the upper control arms are after market. To be more specific, they are control arms from the skyjacker 2-3" lift kit for this truck. Which would explain how I could crank the snot out of my bars and still keep decent angles. Got the bushings ordered from skyjacker and they should be here this week. All in all, it's gonna be over $700 to get everything straight. And once that's done, there comes the tire issue. That will tack on another 850 bucks. As much as I love this thing, it's safe to say it was a bad buy. Between this, the engine getting roasted, and a bunch of other little things, its turned into a money pit. One I'm not a 100% sure I want to continue to pursue. Once this is all fixed, what's next? The transfer case? The transmission? It's a never ending game. Even if I do keep it, I'm not sure it will continue to get the money for mods its seen to this point. The idea of spending 4k on a lift, tires and gears for this thing makes me sick.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Wait. So with an UCA swap I can get an easy 2" of lift and not worry about ride quality or CV angles and suspension component wear like I would if I cranked to the moon??? Please tell me more!

sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Wait. So with an UCA swap I can get an easy 2" of lift and not worry about ride quality or CV angles and suspension component wear like I would if I cranked to the moon??? Please tell me more!

Sent while drivi-

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hahaha I'm serious. I have front rake and I hate it. But cranking scares me.because front end parts and tires aren't getting any closer to free. If I could get two inches of front lift with a fairly simple UCA swap and eliminate all possible issues and boost the back with blocks I would be a very happy man.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Hahaha I'm serious. I have front rake and I hate it. But cranking scares me.because front end parts and tires aren't getting any closer to free. If I could get two inches of front lift with a fairly simple UCA swap and eliminate all possible issues and boost the back with blocks I would be a very happy man.

To my under standing, the aftermarket UCA doesn't give lift, they only compensate some for the cranked bars/ less than flat CV angles. And its not really cheap either. Rough country sells the kit for 600, but this one is from skyjacker. And its insane. A whopping 1000 dollars to crank your torsion bars.

Sent while drivi-

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ouch. Never mind that. I'll buy a 6 inch rcx and a two inch block and not crank with the add a leaf. 4 inches of rear lift with more towing. For the same money. Thanks for the info though!