Swamp Hound's 1997 Yukon Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
As requested from 98chevyz71, here is the build thread for my truck. Its been a bit of a slow process, as up until a couple of months ago, I could barely put gas in it. Hopped a couple jobs, got damn near close to being flat broke, and finally settled on my feet. So now with some job security, and steady income I should be able to keep the money flying at my truck. Any way. Here she is, in all her inglorious glory.

The truck: 1997 GMC Yukon Z71 4X4, 3.42s, G80, Loaded interior.

You must be registered for see images attach

The story of how I got her is a bit of a strange one. After looking for MONTHS to find a suitable OBS Tahoe/Yukon, I had all but given up. Until my dad told me about a really clean OBS Yukon he had seen for sale in front of a local Trax Tires (The irony being that he said it had been there over a month. And just hadn't mentioned it). I decided to go check it out. As soon as I saw it up close and drove it, I knew it was the OBS to go with. While test driving it, the owner (also the owner of the Trax) told me its story. It belonged to a guy who had gotten it for his son. He told him if he got any C's in the 11th grade, he would sell the truck same day he got the report card. The kid completly failed the 11th grade. The guy who I purchased it from, intended to flip it for a small profit. He re did most of the front suspension, did a full tune (including tranny), put in a new AC and a few other things and put it up for sale.

How she sat when I first got her:

I barely had the cash flow to pay for gas at this point, and mods on a budget that makes a shoe string look big, are tough.

So what mods are cheap/free? How about cranking the ole' torsion bars. Cranked 1.25" and coupled with 2" blocks in the back.

Next was to swap out all the interior lights and HVAC to LEDs. Probably one of the most usefull mods out there, and pretty darn cheap. More so if your like me, and buy cheap LEDs on ebay [:D]

Ah yes, and let's not forget about one of the best "mods" on the planet. Plasti-Dip.

Cheap, easy to apply and durable, yet can be easily removed.

Blacked out the GMC emblem on the front of the truck, and the "GMC" part of the "GMCTruck" emblem on the back, followed by the front grille and wheels.

Bought a Blutooth OBD II scanner to pair with my Nexus 7 and Torque Pro for data monitoring and tracking.

HUD Mode:

Swapped the corner lights out for LEDs to take advantage of my clear corners.

Then LED reverse lights, followed by HIDs

Demolded Exterior

-Current mods:

K&N Cold Air Intake

DI/DO Flo~Pro V-Force muffler to dual 4 inch chrome tips @ 45*

N-Fab Nerf Bars

Crystal Clear Headlights

Interior LED swap

Gauge Cluster & HVAC LED swap

LED Reverse Lights

Blocked and Cranked

Plasti Dipped Grille and Rims, GMC Emblems and corner lights

Demolded exterior

285/75/16 BFGoodrich ATs

Rancho RS5000 Shocks

5000k 35w HID Lows (Sidelined until I do a projector retrofit)

OBD II Data Monitoring and Recording via Nexus 7 w/ Torque Pro

Sony CDX Headunit

Pioneer 4x10s in Rear

DRL Delete

-Near future mods:

HD Tow Mirrors

Full truck dip

Acquire a 14 Bolt SF rear

Replace all door speakers with Polk Audio

Subwoofers

Replace DI/DO Flo~Pro with true dual x........

Shorty Headers

Tint windows

Off road lights or lightbar

Roof rack

Smoke turn signals

Bilstein 5100s

Camo Interior

LED Tail lights

-The expensive, or slightly less than necessary mods:

6" Lift (Either Superlift or RCX)

4.56 Gears and Lockers

35x12.50s wrapping 17s

BB Tune

Ranch Hand/TAG style bumper w/ winch

Fully built transmission.

New Paint

Mild Cam

Fender Flares

-Waiting to be installed:

Corvette Servo

Go Industries Knockdown Grille Guard

That's the quick and dirty. I feel like I'm forgetting a few things, and probably am, but this will have to do until I can remember them lol.
Thanks,

Luke

Last edited:

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
That's a clean Yukon!! Nice find

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looks good, is it just me or the way the pic was taken? that the front bumper on the driverside looks tweaked pretty good.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome to the build thread everyone. Much appreciated.

looks good, is it just me or the way the pic was taken? that the front bumper on the driverside looks tweaked pretty good.

It is tweaked pretty good. Its not just you. I'm not sure why it is, as it shows no signs of being hit. I've heard that its a bracket that holds the bumper down, and with out it, it sticks up. I've seen a lot of trucks around here with both or one side like that, but the center is fine. So that could be it. That or some joker is dinging a lot of GMT400s in the same spot.

Sent while drivi-

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Found 3 half empty cans of Plasti Dip in the shop last night, and decided to how it would look with blacked out corners.

I like it myself, I think I'll smoke the turn signals this weekend.

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How tall of a block is it in the rear?? it looks like it's higher than a 2"? Are you're bars maxed right out or is there a lift/leveling kit in it? because it sits reeealy high for relatively stock man, love the stance of this truck, want to do the exact same setup suspension-wise on my Tahoe!

Last edited:

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
How tall of a block is it in the rear?? it looks like it's higher than a 2"? Are you're bars maxed right out or is there a lift/leveling kit in it? because it sits reeealy high for relatively stock man, love the stance of this truck, want to do the exact same setup suspension-wise on my Tahoe!

2 inch block out back, 1.25" crank in the front, not even close to maxed out. Sitting on 285s. I need to measure my ground clearance now that I think about it...

Edit: Clearance is 13.25" from the front diff. And 15" from the bottom of the frame.
Sent while drivi-

Last edited: