1997 Yukon 5.7 No Spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbcoleman03

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1997 Yukon with a 5.7 that will not even attempt to start. It was running fine for the previous owner and suddenly died going down the road one day and hasn't ran since. When you turn the key it will only light the dash up, no attempt to start at all. The first thing I plan on doing is checking the coil. If that isn't the issue where should I start next?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the side posts on the battery are clean and tight. They tend to loosen up just enough to not carry a load and cause the symptoms you're describing.

cbcoleman03

Reaction score
Make sure the side posts on the battery are clean and tight. They tend to loosen up just enough to not carry a load and cause the symptoms you're describing.
That was the first thing my buddy checked when it died on him. I'm hoping its just the coil, i had the same issue on an F150 and a coil solved the problem with it. The Yukon also has brand new plugs, wires, cap, and button. if it isn't the coil I'm thinking maybe move on to the ignition relay?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That was the first thing my buddy checked when it died on him. I'm hoping its just the coil, i had the same issue on an F150 and a coil solved the problem with it. The Yukon also has brand new plugs, wires, cap, and button. if it isn't the coil I'm thinking maybe move on to the ignition relay?
Check the Crank fuse, it may be bad even if it doesn't look like it. Had this happen to both my Burb's and a friend's mom's Burb too.
Crankshaft position sensor can also be bad; it won't start if it is.