Swamp Hound's 1997 Yukon Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with the flowtechs because they were cheap and I just happened to have a $50 bill on me when my buddy asked me if I wanted them, but yes agreed! ^^ I had hooker long tubes on my 80' 3/4 ton Sierra and they were by far the best headers on the market! loved them!

I'm just a sucker for Hooker headers because I put a set on my Nova and wanted a similar setup on my truck, plus I love the smell of the ceramic coating after driving the vehicle around the first time haha

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Looking good!

Thanks man.

Brush guard came in, was surprised to find by previous owner must have the same or similar guard, because all the holes needed for mounting it were already there. Matched up good except one, its off about an 8th of an inch so I'll bore it out a bit and get it bolted up. Over very happy with it. Its big, its heavy and its pure beef.

You must be registered for see images attach

I think it goes good with the blacked out corners too.
And on another note, my front tires are shredded on the inside due to rubbing, another issue the PO left me by not getting an alignment. So looks like I will have to put the lift on hold why I save for tires.
Sent while drivi-

Last edited:

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man.

Brush guard came in, was surprised to find by previous owner must have the same or similar guard, because all the holes needed for mounting it were already there. Matched up good except one, its off about an 8th of an inch so I'll bore it out a bit and get it bolted up. Over very happy with it. Its big, its heavy and its pure beef.

I think it goes good with the blacked out corners too.
And on another note, my front tires are shredded on the inside due to rubbing, another issue the PO left me by not getting an alignment. So looks like I will have to put the lift on hold why I save for tires.
Sent while drivi-

Lookin bad ass man!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Better pic of the guard.

Need to install my damn corvette servo this weekend, but I doubt I will have the time.

Sent while drivi-

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your sig says you have Flowtech headers, do you like em? Gonna get some shorties for mine pretty soon and have been looking at the flowtechs.

The Flowtech headers are great man! love them! the motor just feels a lot healthier when I'm driving it and I can definitely notice the power gain. I don't know if it actually gave the motor a bunch of horsepower, but it feels like its got a lot more torque. Like, if I'm going down the road doing 50KM/H or 30mph, and I punch it, the truck just picks up and fvcks off a lot quicker than I used to! havnt actually ran a full tank of fuel through it yet, so can't really judge if the fuel economy was increased or not. will let you know soon!

Edited**
The only reasonably crappy thing about the headers, is that mounting the y-pipe back up to them can be a little bit of a ***** if you don't have the truck on a lift or have compressed air on hand to use an impact gun on the collector studs. I actually had to drive the truck down to my buddies shop with one open header because I didn't have compressed air on hand where I was doing the headers, just hand tools. I ended up using an acetelene torch to heat up the pipe y-pipe to almost melting point, so I could bend it into place when where it was properly aligned with the collector on the header. Other than that, pretty simple job to do.

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest that you try cracking the manifold bolts so you can lube up the bolts before you do the headers.

DO THIS EVERY DAY FOR A WEEK! if you don't.. LOL Well then I wish you luck when drilling out the studs after they snap off in the head. The very front bolt on the passenger side as well as the very back bolt on the driver side was already snapped of when I got the truck, and I spent in total, probably about 2&1/2 hours just drilling out the studs (The driver was a nightmare and made me less than a happy camper) I used "Move It" by "Liquid Wrench" but WD-40 will work as well.

Good luck bud!

Cheers!

Last edited:

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
The Flowtech headers are great man! love them! the motor just feels a lot healthier when I'm driving it and I can definitely notice the power gain. I don't know if it actually gave the motor a bunch of horsepower, but it feels like its got a lot more torque. Like, if I'm going down the road doing 50KM/H or 30mph, and I punch it, the truck just picks up and fvcks off a lot quicker than I used to! havnt actually ran a full tank of fuel through it yet, so can't really judge if the fuel economy was increased or not. will let you know soon!

Edited**
The only reasonably crappy thing about the headers, is that mounting the y-pipe back up to them can be a little bit of a ***** if you don't have the truck on a lift or have compressed air on hand to use an impact gun on the collector studs. I actually had to drive the truck down to my buddies shop with one open header because I didn't have compressed air on hand where I was doing the headers, just hand tools. I ended up using an acetelene torch to heat up the pipe y-pipe to almost melting point, so I could bend it into place when where it was properly aligned with the collector on the header. Other than that, pretty simple job to do.

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest that you try cracking the manifold bolts so you can lube up the bolts before you do the headers.

DO THIS EVERY DAY FOR A WEEK! if you don't.. LOL Well then I wish you luck when drilling out the studs after they snap off in the head. The very front bolt on the passenger side as well as the very back bolt on the driver side was already snapped of when I got the truck, and I spent in total, probably about 2&1/2 hours just drilling out the studs (The driver was a nightmare and made me less than a happy camper) I used "Move It" by "Liquid Wrench" but WD-40 will work as well.

Good luck bud!

Cheers!

Thanks for following up on the headers man, I appreciate it!

Sent while drivi-