Swamp Hound's 1997 Yukon Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 inch block out back, 1.25" crank in the front, not even close to maxed out. Sitting on 285s. I need to measure my ground clearance now that I think about it...

Sent while drivi-

CrAzY! I cranked the bars about a 1/2" the other day just to level it out because the rake it had was bugging me since I bought it, but I don't have a lot of breathing room when cranking. The bolts only have like 6-7 threads left, and I don't want to max them out all the way. But your rig looks bad ass with 1.25"! So when I throw the block in the rear next week I might have to just go all the way up and then crank down until it's level. I thought the only differences in the z71 was skid plates and shocks?? I don't think my LS will even come close to going as high as yours though! LOL!

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
CrAzY! I cranked the bars about a 1/2" the other day just to level it out because the rake it had was bugging me since I bought it, but I don't have a lot of breathing room when cranking. The bolts only have like 6-7 threads left, and I don't want to max them out all the way. But your rig looks bad ass with 1.25"! So when I throw the block in the rear next week I might have to just go all the way up and then crank down until it's level. I thought the only differences in the z71 was skid plates and shocks?? I don't think my LS will even come close to going as high as yours though! LOL!

Z71 had shocks, skid plates, and stickers. And little stuff like bump stops. If I were you I wouldn't level it with a 2" block, CV angles will be steep and you will eat through front end parts. Amazingly, my angles are almost flat even with the crank. I will let mine rake before I start spending a grand on my suspension every 6 months! lol

Sent while drivi-

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Z71 had shocks, skid plates, and stickers. And little stuff like bump stops. If I were you I wouldn't level it with a 2" block, CV angles will be steep and you will eat through front end parts. Amazingly, my angles are almost flat even with the crank. I will let mine rake before I start spending a grand on my suspension every 6 months! lol

Sent while drivi-

exactly why I don't want to crank the bars all the way up, I just want to throw the 2" blocks that are sitting on my work bench collecting dust in the back and level it out with the keys until the rake towards the front end is manageable. As for replacing front end parts, been there, done that, not fun and it takes a toll on the wallet too lol

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
exactly why I don't want to crank the bars all the way up, I just want to throw the 2" blocks that are sitting on my work bench collecting dust in the back and level it out with the keys until the rake towards the front end is manageable. As for replacing front end parts, been there, done that, not fun and it takes a toll on the wallet too lol

Your sig says you have Flowtech headers, do you like em? Gonna get some shorties for mine pretty soon and have been looking at the flowtechs.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Brush guard shipped early yesterday morning, and should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it on before I go to work Thursday. :rockit:

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your sig says you have Flowtech headers, do you like em? Gonna get some shorties for mine pretty soon and have been looking at the flowtechs.

hahaha! Well... I will definitely let you know when I finish putting them on LOL! Haven't actually got to see if they have any performance that come with them yet, Psgr side is done & I'm doing the Drvr side tonight. Ran out of daylight, energy (and beer) to do both the other night. Ran into a snag the when I realized that one of the manifold bolts on the Psgr side wasn't "missing", the previous owner's mechanic left it broken inside the head. :nono: (FML :suicide: ) so.. I sat there for about an hour drilling it out and luckily was able to get the 1/4 of a broken bolt out without damaging the threads in the head :waytogo: When I was mounting the y-pipe back up to the header it was kind of a ***** and I actually had to take a die-grinder to one of the holes on the collector flange to make it fit over the studs, but other than that they fit very nicely in place of the stock manifolds. Also, easy enough job to do over the weekend if you have enough energy to throw at them. (and beer :cheers: ) Easy on the wallet too!

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
hahaha! Well... I will definitely let you know when I finish putting them on LOL! Haven't actually got to see if they have any performance that come with them yet, Psgr side is done & I'm doing the Drvr side tonight. Ran out of daylight, energy (and beer) to do both the other night. Ran into a snag the when I realized that one of the manifold bolts on the Psgr side wasn't "missing", the previous owner's mechanic left it broken inside the head. :nono: (FML :suicide: ) so.. I sat there for about an hour drilling it out and luckily was able to get the 1/4 of a broken bolt out without damaging the threads in the head :waytogo: When I was mounting the y-pipe back up to the header it was kind of a ***** and I actually had to take a die-grinder to one of the holes on the collector flange to make it fit over the studs, but other than that they fit very nicely in place of the stock manifolds. Also, easy enough job to do over the weekend if you have enough energy to throw at them. (and beer :cheers: ) Easy on the wallet too!

I'm interested in getting a set. Called a shop today, was ball parked 300 bucks in labor to install shorty headers! Needless to say I will give it a go myself first.

Sent while drivi-

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a set. Called a shop today, was ball parked 300 bucks in labor to install shorty headers! Needless to say I will give it a go myself first.

Sent while drivi-

I got lucky with mine, buddy of mine with a 96' Sierra picked them up for his truck, only to remember he had a Vortec and the heads are different lol. Gave'em to me for $50! If you're going to do them yourself, I would recommend looking at the installation guide on them first. On the Drvr side you have to cut a section of your alternator bracket out. Heres the URL:

Product Page:
http://www.holley.com/91832FLT.asp

Instruction PDF:
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/91830-3901FLT.pdf

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you got it lifted pretty good, get Hooker Headers over Flowtech. When I first got my truck it had shorty Flowtechs and they were beat to hell. When I redid my exhaust I put Hooker ceramic coated long tubes on it, looked gorgeous and performed awesome!

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you got it lifted pretty good, get Hooker Headers over Flowtech. When I first got my truck it had shorty Flowtechs and they were beat to hell. When I redid my exhaust I put Hooker ceramic coated long tubes on it, looked gorgeous and performed awesome!

I went with the flowtechs because they were cheap and I just happened to have a $50 bill on me when my buddy asked me if I wanted them, but yes agreed! ^^ I had hooker long tubes on my 80' 3/4 ton Sierra and they were by far the best headers on the market! loved them!