Swamp Hound's 1997 Yukon Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
That's a good bit of info right there. Have you replaced the starter recently?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Negative. Not since I've had the truck. That is sorta uplifting news that it may be the CPS. My dads 05 Sierra was plagued by a similar issue. Would run like a top, but sometimes you would hop in the truck and turn the key, and then nothing. Identical to the video I posted. After 10-20 tries it would fire right up without further issue. Hooked my cheap blue tooth scanner up to it and it flashed a code for crank position sensor. Perhaps this is the problem.
Wouldn't I need to do a crank relearn after swapping the sensor?

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I hope this solves your issue

We'll find out soon. Maybe tomorrow. It started flooding today so I couldn't do anything except try scanning for codes, which was pointless as they got cleared when I took the battery to get tested lol

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
No updates for the truck this weekend. Been to busy with work and had no desire to work in 30 degree weather with nothing to block the wind. I might get it towed down the road to a shop my buddy works at. He'll give me his discount on parts and labor. I'm pretty sure it's the CPS, but I would like to hook it up to a real deal scanner to see if it throws a code. Battery and alternator tested fine. Starter seems to be in good working order, so I'm not to sure what else it could be.
Also gonna put the SAS on the back burner for now. I've been so busy buying parts for it that I've been neglecting maintenance on the truck. Needs a tune up, oil change, rear diff seal replaced, rear shocks (old ones got ripped out of the upper mounts out on the trails last August) mufflers put in (straight pipes were cool for a while, but after driving my dads stock 5.3l, I want a silent cab again) and exhaust leak fixed. Still riding on my Goodyear MTR drag slicks and probably will until the SAS is done, as I'm not paying for another set of balljoints and an alignment for IFS that is about to be cut out.
That's all on the truck. But here's some pics for fun.
You must be registered for see images

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh god those angles make me cringe lol

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Just got home from work and have been tinkering on the truck. Battery was dead and my jump box wouldn't start it, so I hooked it to my dads truck and jumped it off that way. Got it running and minus a couple very small stutters, it ran like a top. It was cold, idling at about 850 RPM and then down to 650 once it was a little warm. Revved it up to 3k, 2500 etc with no issues. No misses, back firing or other issues. Let it idle for about 10 minutes with still no issue. Turned it off, and fired it back up, (still hooked to my dads truck) and it ran good. Turned it off, unhooked the jumper cables and let it sit for a few minutes. Just hopped in it and it fired up no problem. It's back to running the way it was last week, which I would describe as good, not perfect, but good. I'm definitely leaning towards dying sensor at this point. Guy I go to church with is gonna bring his scan tool over tonight to see if it's stored a code for the crank or cam position sensor.