Swamp Hound's 1997 Yukon Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Further updates.

Got ballsy (Dumb, dumb idea) tonight and decided I would take the Yukon to the shop. My buddy was working after close and we were going to run a full diagnostics check. Got about a mile and a half down the road and I noticed the truck had little to no power. While turning 2K RPM I was losing speed. I gave it more gas to compensate, hoping I could make it the last mile to the shop. Suddenly it jumped back up, running like it should for a few seconds, then started to bog. Tried to give it more gas and realized my foot was on the floor, while the engine was once again struggling to stay around 2K RPM. Then I heard noise that I could only describe as a swish/pop come from underneath the truck and the engine died. Trans fluid was good, no fluid leaking under the truck, but there was an odd smell that I could only describe as something similar to burnt popcorn coming from the bottom of the truck. I also noted that my battery voltage was low, which would indicate the alternator couldn't charge it properly prior to the engine dying. It's sitting at the shop now after being towed, they should have an answer for me tomorrow I hope.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
So kill the gremlin screwing with your motor, get those bad boys and rock n roll
Current to do list:
-Kill gremlin and cook. (165 degrees for 8-10 hours, using hickory and a bit of pecan)

-Tune up and repair odd ball crap I've been putting off

-Finish collecting SAS parts and drop truck off for the conversion

-Mount and balance 38.50 Claws on my Classic II's

-Rock N' Roll
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
Current to do list:
-Kill gremlin and cook. (165 degrees for 8-10 hours, using hickory and a bit of pecan)

-Tune up and repair odd ball crap I've been putting off

-Finish collecting SAS parts and drop truck off for the conversion

-Mount and balance 38.50 Claws on my Classic II's

-Rock N' Roll
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
My name is Christian, and I approve this message

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gremlins are tough little ********. Ya gotta get em up to about 190 and wrap them in foil with a bit of water.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Gremlins are tough little ********. Ya gotta get em up to about 190 and wrap them in foil with a bit of water.
Good call, thanks for the heads up. I've heard if you find one with meat similar to pork, that a splash of apple juice does wonders.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Shop called today, talked to the head mechanic. He always gives me the absolute worst case scenario and then usually finds and fixes the problem after he's dug into it some more. Today was no different. He said the motor seemed to be locked up. He said he hooked it to a jump box and it wouldn't even turn over (sound familiar?) even though the starter was hitting hard. I told him everything I've posted here, and he thought head gaskets could be the cause, said maybe there was water in a cylinder, but that it could be something else if it was running fine and if it made it down the road without exploding or slinging a rod. He's going to check it out further tomorrow and give me a call. I'm still leaning towards something electrical. Cam or crank position sensor