Sub box options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We have a dealer here that's local to me who sells digital design stuff it seemed to be high quality good sounding equipment for reasonable price. If you got a company that distributes D&D out there it might be worth your time to stop by and look. Or like laidback said sundown audio will have good products worth looking at also. If i could have afforded it at the time, i would have went with one of those brands.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We have a dealer here that's local to me who sells digital design stuff it seemed to be high quality good sounding equipment for reasonable price. If you got a company that distributes D&D out there it might be worth your time to stop by and look. Or like laidback said sundown audio will have good products worth looking at also. If i could have afforded it at the time, i would have went with one of those brands.

Digital Designs has been around for a looooong time and they're one of my absolute favorite manufacturers. Last I checked they were still attaching the lead wires directly to the voice coils on the subs for as little resistance as possible. GREAT stuff.

I have no experience with Sundown perosnally but I've heard good things from people I trust.

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I never heard of them till I stopped at this place to see what he had, told me about them let me listen in his car, and all i have to say is that his system of all D&D was the cleanest, crisp sounding system i have ever heard. And his 1 15" sub not even fully powered hit harder then my 2 12" kickers. If you're not set on the sub and amp combo i'd research them some before you make a final decision. They are a company that has been around forever and they are still in business so you know they are producing good stuff.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I never heard of them till I stopped at this place to see what he had, told me about them let me listen in his car, and all i have to say is that his system of all D&D was the cleanest, crisp sounding system i have ever heard. And his 1 15" sub not even fully powered hit harder then my 2 12" kickers. If you're not set on the sub and amp combo i'd research them some before you make a final decision. They are a company that has been around forever and they are still in business so you know they are producing good stuff.

Not to mention one of the only companies still making their speakers in the USA!

Speaking of, I've also heard very good things about these guys.

http://www.ficaraudio.com/

Some of their custom options are pretty impressive. If I ever do anything close to the build I originally wanted in my Suburban I'll probably try some of their SQ offerings.

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Type R is a much better speaker than the Type S, so I'm going to base my recommendations on those. Just a warning, coming from the prices on those Boss amps, you're not going to like the price tag on any of this.

1.) Rockford Fosgate T2500-1bdCP

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Pow...F8&qid=1475786460&sr=8-1&keywords=T2500-1bdCP

Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's a REAL 2500 Watts at 2 Ohms. I'd also trust this one at 1 ohm, unlike the Boss. You will need to turn your gains down substantially so as to not hurt those Type-Rs, though. Probably overkill for what you really want to do.

2.) Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fos...F8&qid=1475786596&sr=8-1&keywords=T1500-1bdCP

Also expensive. More reasonably sized, even better S/N ratio than its big brother. Clean and easy 1500W RMS at 2 ohms mono, which would be plenty for those Type-Rs.

3.) Alpine PDX-M12

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDXM1...e=UTF8&qid=1475786844&sr=8-1&keywords=pdx-m12

Smallest option, both in power output and actual size. 1200W mono at 2 ohms. Much more reasonably priced than the RF options, and actually the best option by far on paper as far as sound quality goes. THD and S/N ratio are great on this amp. Keep in mind that the 1200W you get from this amp will sound just as powerful as the "2000W" from that Boss you posted, if not more. Not to mention the fact that the Boss is so under-rated that it probably puts out less power than this amp. This would be my pick out of the three for your project honestly.

There's other options out there, this was mainly the three that jumped out at me right off the bat. If you have questions about any other ones feel free to ask, just keep in mind that you get what you pay for with this stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yea I definitely can't afford those right now

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea I definitely can't afford those right now

Well, I know this sucks to hear, but my advice would be to save up a little until you can. You're not going to be able to run them properly without a new alternator anyway, which is going to be at least another $300, probably closer to $500.

Doing this stuff right is expensive as hell, unfortunately.

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you cheap out on it, you'll probably be disappointed and just be sinking in more money on better equipment in the future. You can always get an alright system for less then 1,000$ but its sounding like you want people to hear you coming from miles away lol:rockit: if you really want a system now you could probably find a decently good one for around 200-300$ on craigslist to hold you over till you can afford to do everything right and get the really nice **** then.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problem. Once again, not an Audiopipe fan. Over-rated RMS wattage, bad S/N ratio, not great THD %. I put them in the same category as Boss, Audiobahn, etc. Bargain bin stuff.

I have the Audiopipe, its a beast but does get warm. I wouldn't say hot but warm. Also the remote bass control is garbage.
Price wise it looks like your trying to stay 150 to 200 range on the amp. not going to get a super high rated amp at that price but there are good options out there. look into Belva, Earthquake, PPI (yes i know there parent company is also the same as hifonics and lanzar), anything by Sundown. Also droppinhz has some good options as well. don't necessarily need to go super huge wattage to get some damn good sound and spl levels. just something to think about.

I'm thinking about trying it. I have Sundown SA10D-2 I got from their yard sale, I need more power to move them but I don't want to spend $500 and have to upgrade electrical and all. I think that amp is like 800 wrms at 2ohm so that is plenty for music in a Tahoe. Thanks for the opinions

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha these are some great systems. Puts my little budget beater truck system to shame!

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
like any electronic product there are multiple lines in each brands lineup. audiopipe has its crap line you can find at barn sales and flea markets, the consumer line like these are a much better product, not great but better. then they have a higher line only released in Brazil. its apparently awesome if you can get your hands on it.

Yeah alot of "gurus" on smd spout alot of info. alot of very brand happy guys on there too, but there is also a lot of good information on there as well.

There is another guy on youtube that does amp testing with same box and a oscilloscope, but im not sure if he has tested as many.