Sub box options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what do think of the hifonics brutus 2000w for these. I can do 2ohm at 1400 so 700rms for each sub. Or I can go with alpine type s 15s at 500rms each for more boom. I have plenty of space

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So what do think of the hifonics brutus 2000w for these. I can do 2ohm at 1400 so 700rms for each sub. Or I can go with alpine type s 15s at 500rms each for more boom. I have plenty of space

Not a fan of Hifonics, personally. Their old stuff was great, but unfortunately they were bought out and went downhill. Similar to Lanzar, I love my old 90's OptiDrives but their new stuff is garbage.

First of all, which subs are you planning on using exactly? Give me a part number and I'll help you pick something out.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Smart call! In my opinion there's not much point to super low-ohm setups these days unless you're planning on entering SPL competitions. Even then, most of the rules have been revised to eliminate people using "cheater amps." Back in the day was a different story. For instance, check this out. Here's a 90's Lanzar 50C. I own two of these bad boys.

These things put out a whopping 25Wx2 at a standard 4 ohm load. Not much there for a 3ft long behemoth, right? Well they're capable of being wired down to 400Wx2 at .25 (yes one quarter) ohm. Or bridged mono at 800x1, .5 ohm. That's under-rated as well. On a strong charging system they can produce over 1KW easy. Just an example of why people used to run low ohm setups.

If you want help picking anything out let me know, I've been building systems for a long time.

Not to thread jack but what do you think of the AudioPipe APCL15001D?

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking at either alpine type r 12ds. Or alpine type 2 15s 2ohm.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

No problem. Once again, not an Audiopipe fan. Over-rated RMS wattage, bad S/N ratio, not great THD %. I put them in the same category as Boss, Audiobahn, etc. Bargain bin stuff.

Alpine sws-15d2
OR
Alpine swr-12d2

The Type R is a much better speaker than the Type S, so I'm going to base my recommendations on those. Just a warning, coming from the prices on those Boss amps, you're not going to like the price tag on any of this.

1.) Rockford Fosgate T2500-1bdCP

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Pow...F8&qid=1475786460&sr=8-1&keywords=T2500-1bdCP

Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's a REAL 2500 Watts at 2 Ohms. I'd also trust this one at 1 ohm, unlike the Boss. You will need to turn your gains down substantially so as to not hurt those Type-Rs, though. Probably overkill for what you really want to do.

2.) Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fos...F8&qid=1475786596&sr=8-1&keywords=T1500-1bdCP

Also expensive. More reasonably sized, even better S/N ratio than its big brother. Clean and easy 1500W RMS at 2 ohms mono, which would be plenty for those Type-Rs.

3.) Alpine PDX-M12

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDXM1...e=UTF8&qid=1475786844&sr=8-1&keywords=pdx-m12

Smallest option, both in power output and actual size. 1200W mono at 2 ohms. Much more reasonably priced than the RF options, and actually the best option by far on paper as far as sound quality goes. THD and S/N ratio are great on this amp. Keep in mind that the 1200W you get from this amp will sound just as powerful as the "2000W" from that Boss you posted, if not more. Not to mention the fact that the Boss is so under-rated that it probably puts out less power than this amp. This would be my pick out of the three for your project honestly.

There's other options out there, this was mainly the three that jumped out at me right off the bat. If you have questions about any other ones feel free to ask, just keep in mind that you get what you pay for with this stuff.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the Audiopipe, its a beast but does get warm. I wouldn't say hot but warm. Also the remote bass control is garbage.
Price wise it looks like your trying to stay 150 to 200 range on the amp. not going to get a super high rated amp at that price but there are good options out there. look into Belva, Earthquake, PPI (yes i know there parent company is also the same as hifonics and lanzar), anything by Sundown. Also droppinhz has some good options as well. don't necessarily need to go super huge wattage to get some damn good sound and spl levels. just something to think about.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
go on youtube and look up smd tests. Steve test alot and i do mean alot of different amps to see what they are truly capable off. the audiopipe actually test higher under load and static than its rated. clipped once it was over its intended range, so i don't get where those statements come from unless we are brand name fans here.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
go on youtube and look up smd tests. Steve test alot and i do mean alot of different amps to see what they are truly capable off. the audiopipe actually test higher under load and static than its rated. clipped once it was over its intended range, so i don't get where those statements come from unless we are brand name fans here.

You may be right about that specific model, I just stay away Audiopipe as I've seen so many of them perform poorly. I put one in a cutlass for a friend years ago and I swear that thing performed worse than the 15 year old Jensen it replaced.

EDIT - And yeah, I'm very familiar with SMD. There's some good info there for sure. I'm not sure I'd take his word on everything, though. Especially the forums stuff. Some of the guys over there spew misinformation like crazy.

I'm sure his tests are fairly accurate, but I've always been a little skeptical of that magic box he uses to detect clipping. I'd much rather see an actual oscilloscope reading and look for any signs of squaring on the waves.

Last edited: