stupid tie rod question Help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know this is probably a dumb question but i need an answer i had to take my centerlink and tie rods out so i would have room for sone internal engine work and now im in the process of putting it back together and when i try to thighten the ideler arm(where it connects to the frame mount) and outer tierod ends (where they connect to the spindle) with the impact the nuts go down about half way then they grab and the studs start spinning i know they are worn out but is there anyway i can get them tight does it have to be on the ground maybe? i know i should replace them but i need it on the road now is there anyway to stop them from spinning so i can thighted them enough to drive it any help you can give would be appreciated
thank you

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Remove the nuts, and tie rod stud from the knuckle. Clean thread with wire wheel and / or triangular thread file. Re-assemble.

92k1500chevy

Reaction score
Try applying pressure to them while tightening them, I always had good luck doing this with a prybar. Of course as said above clean threads will make a world of difference.

Big RED Burban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the help I ended up just taking up the slack with a bunch of lock washers and limping it to a local shop and had all the steering parts replaced