Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did attempt to paint some coatings on the tips to no avail. They melted everything off. I really like them in the high beams, and I don't think there is anything better.
I'd imagine the secret of what type of coating is used is out there somewhere and once discovered, would make DIY-coating the tip of the HIR bulb easy. Gotta be some kind of epoxy based paint, yeah? Ridiculous amount of heat it would have to endure. These really do shoot a lot of light in the low beam application where you'd need it on a regular basis. Barring a capped low beam housing in a GMT400, they're really just not a good idea there. :( Who woulda ever thought TYC would quit offering the Elegantes? They weren't perfect, but they were pretty good for aftermarket, and could be tweaked a little for better fit. I guess all the cheaper stuff out there edged them out of an already shrinking market as the platform aged.

Richard

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I'd imagine the secret of what type of coating is used is out there somewhere and once discovered, would make DIY-coating the tip of the HIR bulb easy. Gotta be some kind of epoxy based paint, yeah? Ridiculous amount of heat it would have to endure. These really do shoot a lot of light in the low beam application where you'd need it on a regular basis. Barring a capped low beam housing in a GMT400, they're really just not a good idea there. :( Who woulda ever thought TYC would quit offering the Elegantes? They weren't perfect, but they were pretty good for aftermarket, and could be tweaked a little for better fit. I guess all the cheaper stuff out there edged them out of an already shrinking market as the platform aged.

Richard
I would lean toward your assessment...epoxy and pumice, lol.

The sad part is that 'cheap' has overtaken most everything these days for the typical consumer. I would imagine some forward thinkers have some stashed away, like those Bosch low beams for the quad setups. I really wanted a set of those. 88GMC cornered the market on them too, lol. I think the Artebs are in my future, should we have a future with all that's going on.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
This front end is really growing on me... My grill guard would like that. Now I have to keep my eyes peeled for the big Cibie lights. A few years back I should have bought the set I posted for public consumption. Yeah, I'm a fu@ki' idiot, lol.
You must be registered for see images attach

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
This front end is really growing on me... My grill guard would like that. Now I have to keep my eyes peeled for the big Cibie lights. A few years back I should have bought the set I posted for public consumption. Yeah, I'm a fu@ki' idiot, lol.
You must be registered for see images attach
I believe that I'm lured to this grill because it's reminiscent of my '86; that was my favorite rig of all.

Attachments

• Muy 86 GMC.jpg
    Muy 86 GMC.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 5

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I know the Z-beams are pretty extinct, but these are available for that beautiful Monte Carlo...R2D2's cousins need to go, lol.